Network Cards

Unless you're on a very old ethernet card (one that would support 10mbit and not 10/100 or 10/100/1000), then upgrading the NIC won't do any good. To get faster download if you're already hitting your network cap, you need to increase your service limit with your ISP.

However, if you're not hitting your current cap, then it would either be an issue with your network card, or an issue with your router. I know that after I replaced my old router, I was able to hit my download speed cap.

Yoy cable lines to your home will also affect your speed. Where I lived, every time it rained my speed would drop noticeably slow, Finally my ISP came out and found the connections outside the house lost their seal, water was getting in and they were corroded

Is there benchmarking software that can test my speeds? I want full performance. I think my mobo supports up to 1000mb, How can I find out if I'm hitting my cap or not?

Windows task manager. With a 191Mb connection (if that's current) you should be doing about 14% or so in the network tab during a speedtest (from speedtest.net).

My ISP says I have 250mbps, but I top out at 200 mbps on speed test. If I got a new router would that help? Because I know the router is included in my internet package and I pay a small rental fee for it.

Depends on the modem they are renting to you. Also when you get so high it depends on if the server in question can actually utilize the bandwidth and provide an accurate result.

Back
Top Bottom