Need to Upgrade - Mobo, Ram, Processor, etc???

Hey bro, now I am rethinking about the CPU..like instead of getting the Core i5 4440, how about i switch back to Pentium G3258 and then with the money saved i can instead use that to get a better GPU?

Unless you think that the upgrade in CPU outwieghts the benefits of spending that same amount to getting a upgraded graphics card.

I assume CPU helps with determining how many applications you can run at a given time correct?

Hey bro, now I am rethinking about the CPU..like instead of getting the Core i5 4440, how about i switch back to Pentium G3258 and then with the money saved i can instead use that to get a better GPU?

Unless you think that the upgrade in CPU outwieghts the benefits of spending that same amount to getting a upgraded graphics card.

I assume CPU helps with determining how many applications you can run at a given time correct?
Yes technically, but no not literally. You can have a dual core CPU and have a million things open. It'll just be slow. In the case of gaming, dual core is the minimum now but the 3258 is perfectly capable of playing all the latest games with the exception of 2 (I'll elaborate on that later).

Games aren't that limited if running a fast dual core and I test for this all the time, and 99% of games on the market are all GPU dependent. If you can get a 970 with the savings and use the 3258 then by all means. Otherwise I'd stick with the i5.

*2 games right now will not run on dual core CPUs (2 cores/2 threads). Those two games are Dragon Age Inquisition and Far Cry 4 (haven't tested myself yet). Dragon Age runs on dual core with HT but not just 2 cores. I believe that will be patched out. If Far Cry won't run on 2 cores I don't expect it to be patched out.

Yes technically, but no not literally. You can have a dual core CPU and have a million things open. It'll just be slow. In the case of gaming, dual core is the minimum now but the 3258 is perfectly capable of playing all the latest games with the exception of 2 (I'll elaborate on that later).

Games aren't that limited if running a fast dual core and I test for this all the time, and 99% of games on the market are all GPU dependent. If you can get a 970 with the savings and use the 3258 then by all means. Otherwise I'd stick with the i5.

*2 games right now will not run on dual core CPUs (2 cores/2 threads). Those two games are Dragon Age Inquisition and Far Cry 4 (haven't tested myself yet). Dragon Age runs on dual core with HT but not just 2 cores. I believe that will be patched out. If Far Cry won't run on 2 cores I don't expect it to be patched out.

Do you believe that in the near future majority of the computer games will require quad core CPU to run? I dont want to buy a dual core at the moment then come next year every game require quad core.

Require? Personally, no. Dragon Age runs perfectly fine with an "i3" setup so that means they just weren't tested. Like I said though, if you can't get a 970 with the savings then I wouldn't bother and just get an i5.

Heard the reason Far Cry won't run on anything but a quad is because of the artificial limitation they put in because they hardcoded something to run on thread/core 2 (counting from 0).

Heard the reason Far Cry won't run on anything but a quad is because of the artificial limitation they put in because they hardcoded something to run on thread/core 2 (counting from 0).
Because of that comment I finally fired up the game. Yea, it's ********. While running the game (maxed) I lowered affinity to 4 threads, then 2 threads. While all CPU was available it did use about 40% of thread 3 BUT when lowering affinity 1st and 2nd and 3rd went up. When lowering to 2 only 1 thread was being used with only a 10fps penalty.

Back
Top Bottom