Streaming on Twitch.tv with low internet speeds

Ausaris

Baseband Member
Hello everyone!

I've been wanting to try my hand at streaming my gameplay on twitch.tv lately, but no matter what I do I have over 80% dropped frames, and the video is laggy to the point it has to stop and reload at times.

I checked my specs on speedtest.net, and this is what I have :
3947830653.png

Sadly this is the best internet I can find in my area, even though I am by no means in the middle of nowhere. The internet in this part of Nova Scotia is just plain garbage, and this is the fastest home internet Bell has on offer.

My question: is it even possible to stream with these speeds, or should I just give up all hope? If anything, is there something I can change that would make twitch work with these speeds, or better yet - increase the up/down speeds I get?

Thanks in advance, Ausaris

With only 0.54 upload? Pretty much gonna be impossible to live stream.

You could save your recordings, and then upload to a YouTube channel, however.

Yup, anything less than 5Mb upload I'd say it's a given you can't properly stream. I had 15/1 and I tried to stream with a lower bitrate. It was really terrible looking and still dropped frames.

Yeah I kinda figured it would be a lost cause... Truly amazes me how awful the internet is here. Guess i'll just have to wait until the day we get that new "fiber op" stuff, hopefully that will improve the speeds. Assuming they ever actually run lines for it out here...

I had planned to start a Youtube channel, with occasional live-streamed events or something of that sort to compliment it, but I have no issues with just doing the youtube channel. Only downside is that it still takes a long ass time to upload anything to youtube, and I can't use the internet for anything else while uploading because it will be obscenely laggy, and the upload will take even longer - if i remember correctly the last time I uploaded a video to youtube it was roughly 15 minutes long, and took between 3-5 hours to upload.

Thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom