Animation

ZeeTali

Beta member
So I plan to build my first computer ( yay me ) it will mainly be for animation. I am on a very low budget so I know I'm not going to build the best computer but that's okay, I just need something to start my animation with. This is my list so far, let me know what you think.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78MT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ motherboard ($57.86 @PCOutlet)
Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM ($53.49 @ PCOutlet)
Case: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply ($39.79 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $369.08

Any suggestions? And any advice for a GPU? Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you tell us your budget, also, what software you plan on using for your animations? Are these video animations or comic strip like ones?

Can you tell us your budget, also, what software you plan on using for your animations? Are these video animations or comic strip like ones?

I was shooting for less than 400$ but if I do go over, which it will most likely, I didn't want to go over 500$. I was going to stick with Blender for 3D video animation and AnimatorHD for stop motion.

If there's one thing I must implore you to change, it would be the power supply. Go with either Antec or Corsair. They may be more expensive, but it's worth the cost. Higher quality. It may not be immediately noticeable, but you'll definitely notice when that Logisys PSU is dead :tongue:

You are going to run into issues with your build in a few key areas after looking at the software mentioned.

Blender requires 8GB of RAM, a 4 core processor, and a 1GB Graphics adapter... The build you have chosen while it meets or exceeds when it comes to the CPU and RAM, has no dedicated card, so it seems your planning on using the GPU that is on that motherboard, which is a VERY weak and highly out-dated GPU, ATI 3000 series graphics is from ~2009ish, to top it off, that GPU will need to be set to use 1GB of the system ram, which knocks the system down to 7GB, and that's if the motherboard will LET you dedicate 1GB to the GPU, if memory serves right, most cap at 512MB with that chipset.

Staying within a maximum of $500, do you already have an operating system to install on this machine? I honestly would recommend Intel for the CPU, but due to the budget your build is fairly decent. I highly suggest getting a dedicated GPU, such as this,

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 02G-P4-3751-KR G-SYNC Support 2GB Video Card - Newegg.com

Also, do NOT use the power supply that comes with the case, 99.99% of the time those power supplies will not supply ample clean power to the parts, and when they die, which they tend to die early on, it will most likely burn up every component you have. You are going to find, staying in your budget will be next to impossible since what your wanting to do technically needs a workstation like setup.

Last edited:
You are going to run into issues with your build in a few key areas after looking at the software mentioned.

Blender requires 8GB of RAM, a 4 core processor, and a 1GB Graphics adapter... The build you have chosen while it meets or exceeds when it comes to the CPU and RAM, has no dedicated card, so it seems your planning on using the GPU that is on that motherboard, which is a VERY weak and highly out-dated GPU, ATI 3000 series graphics is from ~2009ish, to top it off, that GPU will need to be set to use 1GB of the system ram, which knocks the system down to 7GB, and that's if the motherboard will LET you dedicate 1GB to the GPU, if memory serves right, most cap at 512MB with that chipset.

Staying within a maximum of $500, do you already have an operating system to install on this machine? I honestly would recommend Intel for the CPU, but due to the budget your build is fairly decent. I highly suggest getting a dedicated GPU, such as this,

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 02G-P4-3751-KR G-SYNC Support 2GB Video Card - Newegg.com

Also, do NOT use the power supply that comes with the case, 99.99% of the time those power supplies will not supply ample clean power to the parts, and when they die, which they tend to die early on, it will most likely burn up every component you have. You are going to find, staying in your budget will be next to impossible since what your wanting to do technically needs a workstation like setup.

I knew I needed a GPU I just didn't know which one was good, but thanks I will check that out. Any recommendations for the power supply? How is Xion? I was originally going to get my own power supply but I didn't know the ones that came with the case were THAT bad.

I'll quote myself.

PSU is first on that list because this unit is the most important part of your computer whether you are gaming, 3D Modeling, Rendering, or making a server. I brushed on this before but I want to put it here too. If you use a cheap PSU it could undervolt your system from day one, die randomly, or send a spike through your PC blowing up parts if the voltage input drops or goes higher. A cheap unit does not regulate the voltage as good as a quality unit, nor can they handle the actual rated wattage. A cheap unit is rated at their peak wattage, a quality unit is rated at what they can handle for long periods of time and usually have an overhead of 100-200w give or take. This unit sends electricity to every single piece in your computer that you put money into. When you get a power brown or surge it can mean the death or life of your parts as well.

Back
Top Bottom