Server building help

RyJaMu

Solid State Member
Hi my boss was getting rid of a load of old computers and he said i could have them if i wanted and i would very much like to make my self a server out of one was just wondering how to do it
i have a few dell optiplex 320s a hp pro and a couple other random ones
i have basic knowledge of building computers
can i use old hardrives or do i have to use sata as they are faster
its going to be used for storing important stuff on it that me and my house mate need, also running a minecraft server of it so me and my friends can connect without one of us having to be logged in
in advance, thanks for your help :)

The Opitplex is rather old and is SFF if Google serves me right. Not much of a server you can make out of that.

If you're storing important stuff, best to use new drives.

I had a 3.0GHz P4 with HT in it running quite a few serverside applications, including Minecraft. MC was fine as long as there about 5 people on it, and no more lol.

All the other server-related functionality ran fine on it: webserver, fileserver, database, code repository, FTP, and even Plex was alright until I played a 1080p movie on it - had to buffer every half hour or so for about 30 seconds.

Mostly depends what you all want to do with it - and how many people are planning on connecting to your MC server at one time.

Yeah the Plex transcoding kills it. My AMD A10-5800K or whatever it is sometimes hits ~65% CPU usage when transcoding a 1080p video.

As for the MC server.. I ran one on a Core 2 Duo.. forgot the model number. 8400 I think? It was a stock 3 Ghz C2D. Ran it on there for a while... the performance was alright for two to three players who stayed close :tongue:

it would probably be 2 or 3 of us for a while but eventually more, i have only found 2 core 2 duo proccesors and they are in mine and my house mates gaming computers, the only others i have got is athlon 11 pentium and celeron, if i was to make a server out of what i have just for minecraft would that work? and just keep the other stuff on the computers and usbs, i have an antac with asus inside would that do anything
yeah as you can tell i dfont have a good knowledge on computers but slowly learning

Yeah the Plex transcoding kills it. My AMD A10-5800K or whatever it is sometimes hits ~65% CPU usage when transcoding a 1080p video.

As for the MC server.. I ran one on a Core 2 Duo.. forgot the model number. 8400 I think? It was a stock 3 Ghz C2D. Ran it on there for a while... the performance was alright for two to three players who stayed close :tongue:
Except a Celeron D is greatly weaker than a C2D. We're talking worse than Pentium D here.

Back
Top Bottom