bare naked!??

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i noticed a hard drive on sale at newegg that i think will work for my boys new computer. it says in the description that it is a "bare drive" { Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com } . i kind of thought they were all bare drives, with no software on them. so what am i missing here? or does this mean that there are no wires, mounting hardware, etc.? and if that is the case, what would we need to buy to connect it? as always, THANKS!

Hard drive and nothing else... no cables, no software, nada. Basically OEM.

At minimum you would need a SATA cable.

BUT... you will need to open up the machine and check to make sure that:
1. the motherboard has an open sata slot, and
2. the PSU has an extra sata connection that you can use to power the HDD.

Most machines today have that but it doesn't hurt to look just in case.

I think they started using the term "bare drive" because peeps were complaining that they were not getting the cables and screws that you'd get with the retail drives in the pretty boxes

thats what i needed to know, thanks!

If it fails be sure to rma with seagate for a replacement.

Also for anyone else reading you should read this statement before you jump the gun.
If seagate did have a engineering problem which made them suffer deeply I hope they work.
Taken from this link below
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Tim O.
10/13/2014 2:38:23 PM
Tech Level: High
Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
Verified Owner
1 out of 5 eggsSeagate fails to perform
This review is from: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Pros: Cheap

Cons: Blue screened the OS Windows 7 after 10 months 9 days. I couldn't do a startup repair so I reinstalled Windows 7 and all the drivers. Work fine just long enough to patch and load steam for my kid and rebooted tested. Dropped my son off 3 hours away. Windows in a deadly loop cannot repair OS.

Other Thoughts: I had heard from some engineering friends that Seagate had gotten better with there drive electronics and engineering. I've had bad luck with them in the past. Should have went with my gut and bought a Western Digital.

Back
Top Bottom