CD-ROM trouble, help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadDireWolf

Beta member
I've been trying to clean up my brother-in-law's PC but neither of his cd drives is working. The computer is an old power spec running 98. When the system boots and goes through the POST and asks "Boot from CD?" it returns "no bootable CDROM". After that, from My Computer, if you try to access either of the drives it says "D:\ is not accessible. Device not ready." Everything else works fine. I removed over 600 sypware apps, used Registry Mechanic to fix another 500 hundred problems and cleaned up the hard drive. System runs great now but the drives still don't work.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

hmm, ATAPI Drivers missing.

check if CD-ROM is working or not. or use your own (u might get ur hands dirty, as if the system hasnt been cleaned for years)

Welcome to Tech-Forums!
First make sure all cables are plugged in corectly and if not try reormating which will help and also if you go in the bios and changing turning the boot from CD option. What you can also do is go to system manager (right click on my computer, properties) and remove (not disablke) the CD rom and reboot and the CD should install itself again. Hope that should do it.

Thanks guys.

I figured it was the ATAPI drivers and I tried looking for generic ones but haven't had much luck. I'm not too familiar with ATAPI drivers. Can you check to see if one is already installed? One of the CD-ROMs in Device Manager says it's a ATAPI 40X CDROM, the other is a Creative CD-RW Blaster 4224E.

"check if CD-ROM is working or not. or use your own (u might get ur hands dirty, as if the system hasnt been cleaned for years)"
You mean replace the drive with one I know works? I'm not sure what you mean.

"First make sure all cables are plugged in corectly..."
Everything is plugged in.
"...and if not try reormating which will help..."
You mean reformat the hard drive?

"...and also if you go in the bios and changing turning the boot from CD option."
THe boot sequence is CDROM, A, C.

"What you can also do is go to system manager (right click on my computer, properties) and remove (not disablke) the CD rom and reboot and the CD should install itself again. "
I tried that but it didn't work.

Thanks for all the help. I'm grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom