Building a Beowulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
As you can see, I want to build a Beowulf, not just for me, but for everyone that wants to be a part of it. One of the main goals is to find a new Prime number and maybe SETI for you alien fanatics; the new prime number is more likely though. I have been reading up on them for a while now and I have decided to start one. I have 2 soon to be 3 computers (All pentium 266's) that are up to the challenge so far, but anything can be beneficial if you feel the need to donate. Also if you have experience with programming that could be very useful as well. I am not going to be picky about exact same systems being in the cluster. I will use a faster computer as the main node in the cluster. I will also talk to the TechForums people about if any sponsorship would be possible, ergo, the Tech Forums Beowulf Project. I need to speak with a mod about who to contact with this offer to TechForums.
Also, this isn't a true Beowulf in the aspect that it will be running on Windows 98 instead of Linux.

lazerman,

Wow, thats pretty cool . Have you written the software to distibute the work between computers? Oh i wud really like to know a lot abt it /////

that is exciting stuff. I will mention it to the Admins. PLase keep us updated. Man I wish i didnt turf like 5 266mghz machine the other month.

I haven't written any software yet. I will be having a friend do that. I have all the os's I'll need... Basically I just have to make some cat5 cables and I'm set with the 2-3 computers I have. Adding them on is what worries me.

What you can do is put the software on one computer, and then use a program called putty or something along those lines, anyway I think it's the windows version of ssh. Just use putty to ssh into the host computer, and run the prime number thing or SETI@home remotely. If you want to monitor each one of them at the same time then you can try to find a program like SETIWatch, I dont know if there's one for the prime number one, though.

Oh, and does the prime number thingy have a client for linux?

I have a Dual P2 266 machine that I was going to put on ebay, I'm not sure if I just want to give it away for free though, I also have 1 extra P2 266 and a P2 400Mhz that I will be willing to send you if we compromise on shippping methods. I also have a few NIC's.

I think it would be better if you did a Folding@home project instead of SETI or Prime #'s because there is a medical cause there that can save peoples lives.

I agree with Musjunk22, Folding @ home is a much better cause. I personally have like 20GHz of computing power running this. I am also one of the 2 mods over at the ABIT forums in charge of there folding team. You can see my stats in my sig, they aren't great since I just changed my user name about a month ago. If you want to take a look here is a link.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Josh

Yes I really like this folding Idea... I think it will be the cause I/we strive for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom