Lost partition table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roelvdh

Beta member
During making preparations for upgrading from WinMe to WinXP my HD is suddenly no longer bootable. The disk contains a C-drive (boot up) and D-drive. A DIR command from a floppy says the media on the HD is invalid.
I have used Partition Recovery which doesn't find any former partitions but declares the entire 80Gb of the disk Unallocated. Still, when I do a disk view I see the first few sectors seemingly correctly. I did an FDISK /MBR without any result. I also checked with Norton Ghost which reports a correct size of the disk.
Would my Partition Table possibly be corrupted and if so, are there possibilities to restore the table?

Any help would be appreciated.

Roel

Hi,

There used to be Windows Me but I don't see it anymore.
Two drives on the disk.

Hey, that's a nice computer you've got. My OS-problems started as I wanted to move from my existing system to a new one based on Abit NF7-S. The S stands for Serillel as you know, which is the ATA150 serial interface on an existing ATA100 parallel disk. Shouldn't have tried it, but still the motherboard seems super to me.

Roel

This was a bit stupid. Exchanged the mobo first, wanted to start the upgrade to XP Pro but just couldn't resist to try the Serillel option first. That really was my "Preparation". Changed the BIOS settings (autofinding the HD) and then of course you know what happens: the BIOS will write something to the drive, you're probably too fast typing something on the keyboard, it will interfere with the writing process and you'll end up having garbage on the drive.

I will follow your kind suggestions and make a clean start in the right sequence. But for the time being I wil try to restore my old files as it's worth investing some time instead of rebuilding the data store.

Thanks again,

Roel

I solved the problem using DFSee and thanks to the eminent support by Jan van Wijk. This is great software and Jan's support is really outstanding.

Roel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom