Gaming TV

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hey guys,
after 7 good years, I think it's time to move on from my Hans G 22". I still want to keep it as secondary since nothing is wrong with it, however I would like to get a TV now and use it as my main screen.
I'm not sure what size is too big for a tv since I'll be sitting right next to it. 32,37,39, 40?
What suggestions do you guys have? I'll mainly be playing fps and 3d person shooters (FarCry, AC, etc)
There's this 40 Panasonic on sale, what do you guys think?.Panasonic TC-40AS520U - 40 Class Life+ Screen AS520 Series Smart LED LCD TV (39.5 Diag.)

I believe its 120 native so that's good.
I'm also interested in a new set up so if someone has suggestions for computer tables please let me know.
Thanks

What TV you want to buy depends greatly on what you want in the TV - You're going for a 'gaming TV' so if you see a TV specs as 120hz/240hz then stray away from it. You will be paying for a feature that you will likely never use. 120hz/240hz TVs have an internal process where it makes the input video smoother by using a linear video editing software that takes the original source video and interpolates additional frames between each existing frame. The 120hz/240hz effect looks pretty amazing when watching video but this process that adds additional frames takes about 70-150ms to the responce time of the input video so it effectively kills gaming. If you turn ON the game mode of the TV then the 120hz/240hz features are turned OFF to improve the response time which is crucial for gaming.

You will find that there is no perfect display. You will have to choose between faster response times or wider viewing angles and slightly better color.

Good luck :)

Crap, I was really hoping this was going to be easy..
Do you have any suggestions?
Is this why those 27" monitors are so dam expensive!

When you are gaming do you prefer to lean forward with your elbows on your knees and get really into the game? Or are you more into the 'kick-it-back and shoot-em-up' style of gaming where you are just chillin on your couch or recliner?

I ask this because if you lean forward and play you might be able to get away with a smaller display maybe something a bit bigger than your current Hans-G but maybe more like a 24".

Heres an Asus 24" with 1ms responce time I am considering for my gaming display and its less than 200$!
ASUS VX238H Black 23" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

If you like to just kick it back and relax, maybe you don't play games competitively then you might not mind 3-6ms responce times so that 40" LED panasonic you linked would be really great.

as someone that owns both a 144hz 24" monitor and a 60hz 42" led tv. i prefer to game on the monitor. it just looks better. i do however wish i went for a 27" instead of 24"

hmmm
I don't wanna say I'm not competitive, makes me feel like a sound gamer.
When I play Madden on my ps4 i'm always sitting straight up trying to lean into it, I concentrate way too much into that.
I shouldn't be doing that since i have bad posture issues.
I did think about getting a 24" or 27" however the 27" monitors are so expensive so i thought I might as well get a small tv, maybe even a 32".
What's a good 27"? I'll look into it and think about it I guess.

I just noticed some 27" being around $200
For some reason I thought they were 4-500...

Last edited:
the 27" recently dropped in price probably due to more 4k monitors and the g synch displays making it into the pc gaming market. im personally waiting on the oculus and it might be my main gaming display wen it comes out.

Back
Top Bottom