Questions about Kill Disk.

Thank ya, thank ya sir. Just so i'm clear. Writing 0' s on a disk kinda resets it to a brand new hard drive, in a matter of speaking? And restoring the drive to factory kinda overwrites it with orginal microsoft data?

Like Dauntae said, when you delete a file it isn't actually deleted until it's overwritten with other data (hence the reason why basic software like Recuva works in recovering freshly-deleted files). When you click "delete" on a file it just marks the sector(s) that file takes up as writable. So the next time a file is saved, those sectors are available for writing.

So, writing 0's essentially breaks all the links to the files, and then saves data on top of those sectors so that the data is not recoverable. If you do a factory reset, like from HP or Dell, all that does is run a quick format on the drive (break all the links), and reinstall the OS, which will potentially overwrite some of the previously saved data.

Like Dauntae said, when you delete a file it isn't actually deleted until it's overwritten with other data (hence the reason why basic software like Recuva works in recovering freshly-deleted files). When you click "delete" on a file it just marks the sector(s) that file takes up as writable. So the next time a file is saved, those sectors are available for writing.

So, writing 0's essentially breaks all the links to the files, and then saves data on top of those sectors so that the data is not recoverable. If you do a factory reset, like from HP or Dell, all that does is run a quick format on the drive (break all the links), and reinstall the OS, which will potentially overwrite some of the previously saved data.

My hero right there. Thank you so much friend. Be ready for another question tomorrow.

Again, thank you guys for the support

Well I guess that's why they have you run kill disk before reinstalling the OS

OP was saying they had him do a factory reset THEN run KillDisk...which makes no sense to me lol. The way you said (KillDisk then restore) would make more sense.

Yep. We restore them, then kill disk them. Expect for windows 8.1 and XP. The acers and gateways windows 8.1 wont allow it. But dell and hp will.

If you guys ever wanted information on what breaks the most or anything on that nature i can assist. Dont buy the Vizio all in one pc. Good god no.

Lol Most on this forum won't buy any of them, Building them gets you a much better system and we know what's inside so we get what we want in the system.

Lol Most on this forum won't buy any of them, Building them gets you a much better system and we know what's inside so we get what we want in the system.

This is what i would love to do. Build my own. I seen alot of alienware desktops that come in saying it was slow, didn't respond. And with that price tag that comes along with alienware i was shocked to see such results. Plus i didn't know that dell made those.

This is what i would love to do. Build my own. I seen alot of alienware desktops that come in saying it was slow, didn't respond. And with that price tag that comes along with alienware i was shocked to see such results. Plus i didn't know that dell made those.

Dell has owned Alienware for quite sometime. That being said, Alienware are overpriced pieces of junk mostly ;).

You can get much more bang for your buck if you build your own, rather than buying pre-built from a manufacturer. Plus, it's way more fun to build your own :p.

Well how do you guys feel about Asus? We rarely get Asus desktops.
There my favorite overall. (All in ones)

Also, does IBM make Asus?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom