Questions about Kill Disk.

And Yet ANOTHER reason I turn people away from refurbished items lol. Can only imagine the damage that's been done putting ddr2 into a ddr3 slot lol

Considering they won't even fit in the same slots...you'd have to physically damage the actual slot lol.

Can any information be salvaged off a hard drive once it has been "Wiped" with a kill disk? Is it a very hard task to try?

It's possible but very difficult. You need quite powerful tools to do so - forensic quality hardware and software.

The job itself i like. The pay is kinda lame. But i enjoy learning. And what better way to learn than messing with junk lol.

I do like having knowledge on what i'm doing tho. And nobody there really doesn't know a whole lot of information at all. Just plug it in and if works then your good.

So more than likely i will be asking more questions. Thank you guys for being kind on your answers.

kinda a waste of time to restore it, Just check it out to see if it works and wipe the drive. I don't know how you could tell if it was restored or not after the drive gets wiped

It's possible but very difficult. You need quite powerful tools to do so - forensic quality hardware and software.

Mmmmm. So if you had a 250Gb hard drive. And it was full with media, music,files etc...

Lets say you wiped that 250 gb drive with a kill disk. And you filled up the 250 Gb drive again with different media. Does the hard drive exceed the storage limit? Example of what i'm trying to say. L when people go through a hard drive (the one i mentioned above) to find/dig up information on a hard drive. How can the hard drive still have that information? Does the hard drive have a secret storage just for that?

Sorry in advanced for the confusion with the question.

Let's see if my memory is right and I'm sure I'll get some of this wrong (been a while since I played with this stuff) But when you simply click del it doesn't actually delete the files but marks the sectors as writable so the info to be deleted get written over, So deleting really doesn't delete the stuff but marks the related data to be written over. This helps the disk live longer also because each delete if it actually deleted .the file would be writing data over it so it would work much more, Kill disk rewrites the data on the drive instead of just marking it as open space so it replaces all the data with zeroes. If I'm remembering right I think that's how it goes
As for digging up data, when its marked as writable new files get written but some files may not get written over and will remain on the drive until it is written over, most people don't fill a HD so some files deleted may still be there or part there and the companies who retrieve it try and repair the files if there still there, Otherwise it's gone and new data is there.

Dauntae

Last edited:
Serveral questions here.

1. So the 250 Gb never will exceed 250gb worth of storage?

2.whats the difference between Restore to facotry condition vs a kill disk? Does restoring a computer write zeros to the hard disk or does only a kill disk do that?

3. When you metion Write 0's what does that mean? Does the drive only have a set number of how many times data can be written on it?

Thank you for clearing some of my question up. #Thumbsup.

1. Correct.

2. No, a restore generally only performs a quick format on the HDD.

3. It means it writes a continuous string of 0's to the entire drive. It would be the same if you were to fill up the whole drive yourself (every sector) with data.

HDD's do not have a set number of writes. SSD's do..however the upper limit on this exists in the petabytes worth of data to actually hit that limit on a good branded SSD.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank ya, thank ya sir. Just so i'm clear. Writing 0' s on a disk kinda resets it to a brand new hard drive, in a matter of speaking? And restoring the drive to factory kinda overwrites it with orginal microsoft data?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom