Quick Memory Question PC3200...

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.P. Mguire said:
i cant run 2cas timings and i dont want to oc the ram. i just wanna boost voltage and make my timings tighter. thats all i wanna do cause i dont wanna take a risk of smokin the ram. i thin kim running 2.5-3-3-7 right now cause im playing w/ the crap ram.

oh i see sry i misunderstood you. well to boost timings to the tightest they can go, just go in smallese voltage increments the mobo allows. and with each voltage boost tighten the timings till' it becomes unstable. then add more voltage and see if it becomes stable again. if it does you can probably go ahead and tighten them some more. there will be a point where no matter how much voltage you are on it won't let you run that tight a timing...and that's know as your "wall" or limit.

I don't know about that 2.5-4-4 mushkin RAM tightening up to 2-2-2-5 timings and ontop of that OC up atleast 20MHz? Seems pretty unlikely only because getting the ras to cas and the ras precharge down to 2 from 4 seems like the RAM wouldn't at all handle it, muchless after OC'ing the actual frequency....Leonidas already fried his RAM trying to do the very same thing. OC the hell out of the actual RAM frequency and then tighten up those timings ontop of that, although he tried changing the Cas latency from 2.5 to 2 is what really caused his fry I believe.

2.8v 2.5-2-2-5 at 235MHz is one insane OC for something that's stock 2.7v 2.5-4-4-(Not sure) 200MHz don't you think? I have very little RAM OC'ing experience though, but I know the RAM I'm workin with now definitely isn't that good.

Infact, I forgot, I removed my 256mb of PC2700 because I gave a mobo, that stick of RAM, and a 9600XT 256mb card to my friend..not GAVE, rather sold it to him very cheaply, but yeah.

So now I got my FSB at 202 just to have it at 202 instead of 200 :p but it's running 2.5-3-3-7 opposed to it's stock of 3-3-3-8. I've tried changing it to 2.5-3-2-7 but it didn't like that 2...and then the last time I upped my NB voltage just by .1 after I rebooted my RAM was fried for some reason and I had to RMA it =/ It was running at 215MHz at the time on stock timings though so I don't know why raising the NB fried it in that instance =/

melcher88 said:
yes it supports Dual Channel, but that's WAY too much money...that's why i picked those 2....i can only spend like 80 bucks
Your an idiot, he's asking out of the TWO sticks, which one is better.

Nubius said:
I don't know about that 2.5-4-4 mushkin RAM tightening up to 2-2-2-5 timings and ontop of that OC up atleast 20MHz? Seems pretty unlikely only because getting the ras to cas and the ras precharge down to 2 from 4 seems like the RAM wouldn't at all handle it, muchless after OC'ing the actual frequency

i can get you screenies, but i have to swap out my RAM first. I was impressed as well, they seem like very flexible chips. I know my OCZ goes from 2-2-2-5 to 2.5-4-4-11, huge jump...never tried CAS3 lol. But i've seen RAM go from 200MHZ 2.5-2-2-5 all the way to 280+ 3-3-3-8 with like 3.2v, crazy stuff out now.

I'm pretty ignorant to memory stats. So with the budget of around 80 bucks or so, should I just get a stick of 512 (pc3200) and add another stick later to get a gig, or would it be better to get 2 sticks of 256 now and two sticks later (my board has 4 slots with dual channel)?

melcher88 said:
I'm pretty ignorant to memory stats. So with the budget of around 80 bucks or so, should I just get a stick of 512 (pc3200) and add another stick later to get a gig, or would it be better to get 2 sticks of 256 now and two sticks later (my board has 4 slots with dual channel)?

if you KNOW you are gonna get another 512MB stick later i'd go with that. Because you can't run 4 sticks in DC mode.

I know my OCZ goes from 2-2-2-5 to 2.5-4-4-11, huge jump...never tried CAS3 lol. But i've seen RAM go from 200MHZ 2.5-2-2-5 all the way to 280+ 3-3-3-8 with like 3.2v, crazy stuff out now.
Well yeah you can get your OCZ up to 2.5-4-4-11 from 2-2-2-5, but I was talking about ram rated at 2.5-4-4-8 isn't going to run at 2-2-2-5 and have an overclocked frequency. It's fry out, that's basically what happened to leonidas. I believe the RAM running at 3-3-3-8 of course because it has a much higher frequency....but if a RAM stick is rated at 2-2-2-5 and you have it at 3-3-3-8 or 3-3-3-11 I wonder how much of a performance increase you're actually getting. I know there's a trade off point somewhere where the extra FSB isn't worth the lowered timing

well my pc2700 WAS running stable for 9 hours in memtest at 213mhz, so that is a 47 mhz overclock at stock timings... damn good then i had to push it and ****ed myself... so dont push too much trust me, a small overclock is better than RAM you can cook on. i plan on messing with my RAM some more, but i may just drop 100-150$ and get some good dual channel RAM...
im thinking of going with something that has higher FSB rating maybe some pc4000... like this: LINK

Nubius said:
I know there's a trade off point somewhere where the extra FSB isn't worth the lowered timing

very true...you dont want to be running 3-3-3-8 280MHZ if 2.5 2-2-11 250MHz will perform better.

As for screenies sry i haven't switched into mushkins yet. my parents recently found about my skool grades :cringe: and i have less time now on my computer than i used to:( I'll try to get them in as soon as possible. I gotta get up at 6AM now to make it to skool on time...so gay.

Don't worry about screen shots 4W I'm not doubting you or anything and it's really not worth going through all that trouble to stick in those other sticks. Just better believe I'm going to bugging the hell out of you after christmas if I get those Platinum Series Rev2 OCZ's :drool: Sucks about the grades =/ I failed a total of 7 semesters in high school, but I still passed with 10 extra credits, open 1st and open 6th period :D So I came an hour late, and left an hour early, was pretty nice :p

As for finding out when that trade off point is I guess you'd just have to have a lot of patience and try quite a bit of different settings and keep benching the RAM. I definitely don't want to fry those OCZ sticks if I get them so I'm a little weary of trying to reach insanely high FSB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom