Video editing suggestions

If your external drive is recognized under Disk Management correctly but just lacks a drive letter then assign a drive letter to it through Disk Management.

The amount you lost after formatting those drives is correct. File systems use 1024 bytes while HDD manufacturers use 1000 bytes when advertising.

As for your missing driver you need to download and install the drivers provided by Asrock on their website. Don't use the built in driver updater through Device Manager.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think the only option I had under Disk Management was to format the drive and/or create a new partition. I can't do that since all my data is on the disk.

I put the external drive in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on the back of the motherboard. If I plug into 2.0 it even gives me a warning that it would be faster in a 2.0 port (so it knows it is there...)

I am re-installing Windows. Do I need to create a partition in my HDD's? At the start it lists them as "unallocated space", do I have to create a "new" partition or will it just creat the whole thing as a drive?

Oh yeah, I did get the drivers from Asrock.
Also by "I am re-installing Windows" I meant I had already started before you two replied, not "screw you, I'm just going to reinstall Windows!"

You need to have all of your drives besides the M.2 unplugged when you install Windows. You could have accidentally screwed up by having your external in while installing Windows and the partition on it got deleted.

Even the internal HDD's??
The external was not plugged in during install, and it still has all the data on it when I hook it up to my laptop.

Do I need to create a new partition in all my drives at the start (the SDD and the 2 HDD's) so it will be listed as "Partition 1"? I think that may be one reason on my first install I couldn't find the HDD's(?) until I created a partition through Windows. But should I do that at the start?

Thanks a ton for all your help (PP and carnage)

Yes, even the external. Importantly the external. You don't want the boot manager making any additional files where it shouldn't.

The reason you needed to put partitions on the other drives is because when they are new they are shipped RAW. You need to partition them to be able to use them. If you reinstall Windows and unplug them after the install when you plug them back in they will still be partitioned from before. Every HDD initially needs to be partitioned and setup when they are new.

For future reference anytime you install Windows always unplug ALL but the OS drive.

OK, thanks. I will unplug the two HDD's. All the external drives are disconnected and I'll re-install Windows.
Thanks for taking the time to help, and as always you were super helpful!

After you re-install windows, the first thing I do is install the chipset drivers first, followed by the video and then audio and ethernet. Then spend some time doing all the windows updates

All is good! Running fine, recognizes all my drives :)

I still have a "PCI Simple Communications Controller" in Device Manager that is not working and can't find driver. Have done chipset, BIOS, graphic drivers. Starting all the Windows updates now (but had same issue even after all updates done). Doesn't seem to be causing any problems that I can detect, but any way to find out WHAT it is and how to fix it? Properties say location is "PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0" unknown manufacturer.

Open up Device Manager
On the item that has a yellow exclamation mark, do the following:
Right click -> Properties -> Details tab
Post the following info:
Under "Hardware Ids" in the dropdown, it should have something like VEN_####&DEV#### ; post that section, where #### = some alphanumeric combination.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom