Raid Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

atd332

Baseband Member
Seen someone talking about it in a previous thread, im not computer expert, but im not an illiterate, i build my own computers and all but im not some genius, what is a raid array? Jus tryin to learn, thanks :)

raid come in 2 basic kinds, RAID 0 and RAID 1
what raid does is you take two hard drives that are exactly the same and hook them up in a RAID 0 array so they will work like one HUGE hard drive, or if you go with RAID 1 then they will store same data and that way if one crashes, all your pr0n is still safe :p (basically RAID 1 is a backup system)

(redundant array of independent disks) is a way of storing the same data in different places (thus, redundantly) on multiple hard disks. By placing data on multiple disks, input/output operations can overlap in a balanced way, improving performance. Since multiple disks increases the mean time between failure (MTBF), storing data redundantly increases fault-tolerance.

Redundant Array of Independent/Inexpensive Disks/Devices) – A method of providing data redundancy, improved performance and/or quick data recoverability from disk crashes, by spreading or duplicating data across multiple disk drives. Commonly used RAID types include RAID 0 (Data Striping), RAID 1 (Disk Mirroring) and RAID 5 (Striping with Distributed Parity). RAID configurations typically require SCSI disk drives (not IDE/EIDE) and may require identical drives (same capacity, brand, etc.). RAID arrays appear to the operating system as a single device.

Hey DUDE, what are you doing on a forum site if you think he needs a life? If you think you have one why dont you keep your stupid comments to yourself and leave. This happens to be a computer help and advice forum, where one would typically go to get advice and information, so i would say he came to the right place. If you think you know something about RAID why dont you tell him? hmm... you are a VIRGIN FRECKIN TECHIE! which is not a problem in itself but for you to spoutin off.. well

atd332 said:
Jus tryin to learn, thanks :)

In simple terms a RAID array is like they said either putting two identical drives together and making them seem as one big drive, so half the data gets sent to each drive (RAID 0). or again using two identical drives and setting it up as one drive with a capacity of only one drive because all the data is being sent to both drives in case one fails. RAID 0 is pretty fast but it is risky as well if the RAID breaks or one drive fails the data is useless, whereas with RAID 1 you still have the other drive. I have tried RAID 0 before and it was cool but then my raid broke so i lost my data, but my drives are kinda sketchy (even thought theyre new) so i think thats why. you will either need onboard mobo support or a RAID controller to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom