HP Quadro 6000 in Custom Build Not Working at All

CalebPetersen

Beta member
Hi all, I just put together a new computer with components listed below. I'm having trouble with an HP-branded Quadro 6000 I bought off of eBay. It is apparently getting power as green LEDs near the 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors turn green when the computer is powered on (if either of these is unplugged, by the way, the adjacent LED will turn red). However, it's not recognized at all: if I power up the machine just with the Quadro, I'll never see anything on the monitor, and if I use an older 512MB PCI-express video card and go into BIOS, BIOS doesn't think that anything is plugged into the PCI slot occupied by the Quadro. I believe it's seated properly in the PCI slot, and I've tried both of my PCI-e 3.0 x16 slots. I haven't done any overclocking.

I've tried the card in an old computer (doesn't have UEFI BIOS), booted into WinXP, and it's not recognized at all, not even as an "unknown device". In my current build (and using the old 512MB card for video output) I've also tried changing the Video OpROM from Legacy Only to UEFI Only, but it automatically gets changed back when I restart. Have tried clearing CMOS.

You think this thing was DOA? Is it possible that its previous setup (maybe a workstation in SLI?) left some latent settings that are preventing it from working for me??

Specs:
-Xeon E5-1620 v3
-1x16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz
-NVidia (HP-branded according to seller, although I didn't see any HP logo) Quadro 6000 (not K6000)
-Some old random PCI-express video card
-ASRock X99 Extreme3 motherboard
-500W SP-500 Antec PSU (a bit on the old side and not PCIe 2.0 certified, so have to use molex to 6-pin adapters, which might not be ideal for high performance GPU apps. but I'd think the card would at least get recognized)
-1 SSD

I can boot of a USB stick, so all other components should be fine. Google searches have yielded nothing. I've looked for manuals of any sort for the Quadro 6000, and found only a generic Quadro manual with almost no info about installation, etc..

Thanks,
Caleb

Hi all, I just put together a new computer with components listed below. I'm having trouble with an HP-branded Quadro 6000 I bought off of eBay. It is apparently getting power as green LEDs near the 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors turn green when the computer is powered on (if either of these is unplugged, by the way, the adjacent LED will turn red). However, it's not recognized at all: if I power up the machine just with the Quadro, I'll never see anything on the monitor, and if I use an older 512MB PCI-express video card and go into BIOS, BIOS doesn't think that anything is plugged into the PCI slot occupied by the Quadro.

I've tried the card in an old computer (doesn't have UEFI BIOS), booted into WinXP, and it's not recognized at all, not even as an "unknown device". In my .

You think this thing was DOA? Is it possible that its previous setup (maybe a workstation in SLI?) left some latent settings that are preventing it from working for me??

Specs:
-Xeon E5-1620 v3
-1x16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz
-NVidia (HP-branded according to seller, although I didn't see any HP logo) Quadro 6000 (not K6000)
-Some old random PCI-express video card
-ASRock X99 Extreme3 motherboard
-500W SP-500 Antec PSU (a bit on the old side and not PCIe 2.0 certified, so have to use molex to 6-pin adapters, which might not be ideal for high performance GPU apps. but I'd think the card would at least get recognized)
-1 SSD

I can boot of a USB stick, so all other components should be fine. Google searches have yielded nothing. I've looked for manuals of any sort for the Quadro 6000, and found only a generic Quadro manual with almost no info about installation, etc..

Thanks,
Caleb

Well you have a complicated mess on your hands.

1.Look on that quadro 6000 and look at the label copy what you see or a take a picture of it and bring it back.
Meanwhile have a look at this for nearly 3000 dollar workstation card I say you use something more affordable.
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Quadro+6000&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

2.If you have a windows os up and running look into getting the system drivers for it.
Read the mobo model number and go hp website "THEY" should have those divers available for redownloading.

3.If the card doesnt work in any computer I say chuck it out and use something like this.
PNY VCGGTX750T2XPB-OC GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card - Newegg.com

That compared to the quadro 6000 that would far more better then that video card you have.

Well you have a complicated mess on your hands.

1.Look on that quadro 6000 and look at the label copy what you see or a take a picture of it and bring it back.
Meanwhile have a look at this for nearly 3000 dollar workstation card I say you use something more affordable.
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Quadro+6000&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

2.If you have a windows os up and running look into getting the system drivers for it.
Read the mobo model number and go hp website "THEY" should have those divers available for redownloading.

3.If the card doesnt work in any computer I say chuck it out and use something like this.
PNY VCGGTX750T2XPB-OC GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card - Newegg.com

That compared to the quadro 6000 that would far more better then that video card you have.

Hey RockMan, thanks for the suggestions. It has several stickers with serials, but the HP one says

CT: PDSLC01UI5A01G
HP Assy No: 612953-003
HP Spare No: 735211-001
S/N: CN33106228

I specifically need a Quadro for GPU computing and quad-buffered stereo 3D. I bought this one used for $600 shipped, so it wasn't as bad as paying $4k for the damn thing. Otherwise, yeah, it would make more sense to go with the sort of card you showed.

I've found the latest drivers, but if BIOS doesn't even recognize the card (let alone Windows), what good are they?

Best,
Caleb

I'd say if you already tried it in 2 different systems with the same results (assuming you have the proper power requirements in both systems for the card) then I'd. Say the card is bad. Contact the seller you bought it from and asked for a refund or replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Things that come to mind, which this is rare to have happen... The card is listed as PCI-e 2.0 x16, could the PCI-e 3.0 bus and that card be having conflicts? I know they are supposed to be interchangeable, but that isn't always the case. The next thing that comes to mind is the PSU... It really seems somewhat under-powered... From what I can it has two 12v rails, and they are both rather weak to start with at around 18amps each... Whats the specs of the other test machine your trying to put this graphics card in?

All that aside, you paid $600 for a $3000+ graphics card, chances are that card was fried and someone was trying to dump it.

By the way, Dell, HP, and other OEMS tend to skip putting their badges on the part, the only time you will find their name on a part these days is on a bar coded sticker that says "Replace with HP Spare Part Number: XXXXX" or they will just have a little sticker on the part for inventory purposes.

I am almost willing to bet your not able to give it ample power, or the card was shot to start with from the seller. Hope he has/had good rep on ebay.

Last edited:
Things that come to mind, which this is rare to have happen... The card is listed as PCI-e 2.0 x16, could the PCI-e 3.0 bus and that card be having conflicts? I know they are supposed to be interchangeable, but that isn't always the case. The next thing that comes to mind is the PSU... It really seems somewhat under-powered... From what I can it has two 12v rails, and they are both rather weak to start with at around 18amps each... Whats the specs of the other test machine your trying to put this graphics card in?

All that aside, you paid $600 for a $3000+ graphics card, chances are that card was fried and someone was trying to dump it.

By the way, Dell, HP, and other OEMS tend to skip putting their badges on the part, the only time you will find their name on a part these days is on a bar coded sticker that says "Replace with HP Spare Part Number: XXXXX" or they will just have a little sticker on the part for inventory purposes.

I am almost willing to bet your not able to give it ample power, or the card was shot to start with from the seller. Hope he has/had good rep on ebay.

Hey c0rr0sive, I forgot to mention I also put it in the PCIe 2.0x16 slot on my new board. I've also tried it in an old motherboard that I believe has PCIe 1.0x16 slots. I agree, the PSU cutting it a bit close (although some online PSU calculator said I only need 453W for this build) but the lights are green at both plugin points.... I'm in contact with the seller now.

Thanks,
Caleb

Well, they may be green but they are potentially dummy lights, as in, they light if any amount of power flows into the card. The card requires ~250W, that would be over the limit for either of your 12v rails on the PSU you did list. What PSU is in the other rig that you tested the card in?

Hey RockMan, thanks for the suggestions.

I specifically need a Quadro for GPU computing and quad-buffered stereo 3D. I bought this one used for $600 shipped, so it wasn't as bad as paying $4k for the damn thing. Otherwise, yeah, it would make more sense to go with the sort of card you showed.

I've found the latest drivers, but if BIOS doesn't even recognize the card (let alone Windows), what good are they?

Best,
Caleb

If you want that quadro 6000, forget about it too pricey.
The card I'm linking you thats the best you can hope for under your price tag.
PNY Quadro K2200 VCQK2200-PB 4GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card - Newegg.com

Now look at the specs for both and compare and contrast.
EVGA 03G-P4-3888-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Between the cuda cores, speed and memory I say the GTX would do you justice.
If your using that workstation for daily use and no heavy work load jobs why bother with a quadro ?

I am indeed interested to see what the seller says. :/
If it were me I would end up asking for a full refund for the card and pay to ship it back to him.

Back
Top Bottom