Video editing suggestions

The NE ad I see for the 128gb plexor is $120 and the Samsung 250gb is $140.
The links open up for me and if the OP wants to edit video, then a larger drive might be in his best interest

I can't open links at work to certain sites, and I did say I doubt the Plextor 250 is going to be only 20 more dollars than the 120, backing that up with the OP should stick to M.2.

Anyways, here's the links to the build I promised. Use the rest of the rig and this motherboard, CPU, and RAM if you want to spend the extra cash.

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor BX80648I75820K - Newegg.com
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory Model CT4K4G4DFS8213 - Newegg.com

The video card you recommend is out of stock at Newegg.
I found this one, that is similar price ($20 more) and GeForce GTX 970 GIGABYTE GV-N970WF3OC-4GD GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready G-SYNC Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Would that be comparable, or should I order the original recommended one from another vendor (was thinking shipping from one source would be easier)

Also, for the HDD I may get two. Would that change PSU recommendations? I may get one 1TB and one 2TB and use the 1TB to store pics/music/videos and use the 2TB to dump raw video to.

Thanks
ETA: via pcpartspicker I did find a place that has the recommended graphic card in stock (B&H) for same price, so if that is still the recommendation I'll get it from them.

Last edited:
Hmm, tried to edit post but seems to have gotten deleted:
The graphic card is out of stock at newegg and several other places, but is in stock at B&H. Should I still get that one? I found a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 on Newegg for about $20 more (GIGABYTE GV-N970WF3OC-4GD GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready G-SYNC Support Video Card - Newegg.com) would that be just as good? Would be alittle easier to order all form one place for shipping costs.

Also: I will probably get 2 HDD's, the 1TB one you recommend (to store photos/docs/complete videos) and a second 2TB to dump video raw footage to. Would that change requirements for the PSU? I assume no, but wanted to make sure.

I think it was just waiting for post moderation.

What I would suggest is this, if you're going with the Z97 4790k setup then use the onboard video until the eVGA comes back into stock. If you're going with the previously mentioned X99 setup then get the Gigabyte 970. You can either use it until the eVGA comes back into stock and return it, or keep it if you feel that you want to trust their CS and RMA services if you ever need it.

Thanks. I am going with the X99 with the i7 processor.
So would the Gigabyte be as good? The Gigabyte I can get from newegg ( I think their cust service is pretty good) right now. I'd rather not have to worry about returning it.
So if I get the Gigabyte now from Newegg I would be good to go? Or should I source the Zotac from another vendor? (you last sentence confused me a little :-o)

By customer service and RMA I meant the company themselves, as in Gigabyte. Outside of the 15-30 day period you would return the card to RMA services to Gigabyte IF you had any problems with it. That is why I prefer eVGA because their customer support is top notch in the business.

The Zotac card I linked before was simply a place holder so you can get an idea for the cost. You can get the Gigabyte if you don't want to wait for eVGA stock (Although this one is in stock). I don't think you'll have any issues with the Gigabyte card, so it's up to you man.

To the HDD setup, you can do that but make sure you're getting 7200RPM drives for the scratch/editing disk. If you wanted to you could always get another M.2 just for that. The slower and cheaper Crucial would be great, or you can get a 250GB Samsung EVO or Crucial MX100 for the render scratch. Your money, so whatever you want to do there.

having some trouble getting it all to run:
Have the system PP Mguire recommended, with the EVGA graphic card and I added a second HDD (2TB).

At first neither hard drive would appear in Windows. I had to go into Computer Management and Partition the drives (made one big partition on each drive) and now it recognizes them, but I think I lost a little bit of storage (1TB has 931 GB and the 2TB has 1.81 TB avail, I know you lose some for operational purposes but seems like more than it should be).

My USB portable HDD won't come up in Windows (and that is what I transferred ALL my files to :silent:). When I go to device Manager, it seems to appear as a USB Mass Storage device with updated drivers and no errors. The safely remove hardware program recognizes it, and it comes up as a numbered (no letter) disc in "Computer Management" but I can't see it in "My Computer" or get access to it.

Flashed latest BIOS, updated Windows (7, 64 bit). Only error/problem I can detect in the system is under device manager: "Other devices": "PCI Simple Communications Controller" has a "!" and it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) but updating the driver fails to find one.

I see on the Asrock website and manual (ASRock > X99 Extreme4
that the only Plextor M.2_SSD they support are 256 and 512 GB (not the 128 GB that I have). the SSD seems to be working fine as that is what Win7 is on.

I'm going to do a fresh re-install of Windows/BIOS and see if it works, but I'm stumped.

I did create the USB on a 32 bit Win7, but it reads fine on my Win7 64 bit laptop.

The partitioned HDDs are good. Yes it takes that much space. You can thank Microsoft for that.

As to the USB HDD. Are you plugging it into a port in the back? If so, is it USB3 (blue port)?

As to the M.2, it'll be fine. By support they mean those are the only ones they have tested on that board. They don't have the time to test every single device on the market on each board as each of their 9 series boards have at least one M.2 slot.

Is this a fresh install to begin with? If it is, no point in doing a format. Just need to troubleshoot the one external HDD issue.

Back
Top Bottom