Snap Crackle Pop (No Rice Crispies)

blckninja

Solid State Member
Going to be doing some testing for a friend and see what happened to his computer as he puts it,
you a hear a crack, see a spark, and smell burning metal/wires.

Talked to him a little and i'll be doing work to find out what the issue is. As of right now the only ideas I have will be just switching hardware around to find the problem. I do have a multimeter i'm assuming I can use but don't know of any tests, I am not by an means an engineer.

What sort of tests can I do with a multimeter, if any, to help troubleshoot the issue?

You probably won't need a multimeter... If there's burning smell, then you'll want to look for burnt traces/melted wires (before turning it on) and see what wires are burnt.

My guess is PSU, without much info.

I agree that power supplies make the most snaps, crackles and pops with frying wires more than any other component you have in there

Same thoughts as me, glad to know I was on the right track. I assumed psu or motherboard right away. Would there ever be burnt marks or spots on the connectors or would it just be the wires that are damaged?

All depends on what fried/started to fry... You'll just have to physically inspect what is/was damaged when you check it out.

unplug your pc, open up the case to check it out and sniff near the rear exhaust fan on the power supply....you'll know right away

Thought I would follow through since I started the thread. It was a blown fuse, looked like the one on the far right. Ordered a new psu for him that should last for the next few years.

testing%20fuses.jpg

Back
Top Bottom