Pentium M vs. Pentium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
A Pentium M oced to 2.66 GHz on a 166 base clock giving 667 FSB would be equal to what Pentium 4. I know a Pentium M with 600 FSB at 2.55 GHz whoops an FX-53. So, I'm right to think that the 2.66 would beat out an FX-55.

Yeah, I'd bet money on that too. Since the M is oc'ed whats stopping you from making an even playing field and oc'ing the fx-55 to an fx-57 (2.8ghz)

An interesting comparison:confused: I mean if your OCing a 1.8 Dothan to 2.6ghz and kicking FX ass for 3/4 to half the price it would be worth it wouldn't it? Depends on your cooling method I guess;)

Any intel processor running at 2.8 ghz is alot slower than any 2.8ghz AMD processor. An equal comparison for that would be like a 3.8ghz intel vs. a 2.8ghz AMD. The technology is different and... nubius knows how to explain it.

The Pentium M cooling is included with the motherboard, AOpen and DFI. The heatsink doesn't even run and when it does, it runs at like 250 RPM. Still, if I overclock a Pentium M to 2.6 GHz and kick the FX-55's and P4EE's ass, then it is worth it. Plus, the one I'm getting costs almost 4/5 less than the P4EE and FX-55.

Megadeth2 said:
The Pentium M cooling is included with the motherboard, AOpen and DFI. The heatsink doesn't even run and when it does, it runs at like 250 RPM. Still, if I overclock a Pentium M to 2.6 GHz and kick the FX-55's and P4EE's ass, then it is worth it. Plus, the one I'm getting costs almost 4/5 less than the P4EE and FX-55.

Give it a shot and let us know;)

Any intel processor running at 2.8 ghz is alot slower than any 2.8ghz AMD processor. An equal comparison for that would be like a 3.8ghz intel vs. a 2.8ghz AMD. The technology is different and... nubius knows how to explain it.

Well, that is true for Pentium 4s, but we are talking about the Pentium M. It is a completely different processor that performs much better at lower clock speeds. IIRC, it is based on the P3 core.

Megadeth2 said:

How do you figure a PM at 2.6 will be a FX-55 at 2.6......lol good luck with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom