Overheating Graphics Card

joeyh31

Beta member
Hey everyone, let me preface this by saying I know very little about computers and would appreciate not so much high-end tech talk, haha. In other words, if you could dumb some things down for a newbie, that would be great.

My computer started to randomly shut off when I started playing games a few months ago and I'm finally getting around to solving this issue.

I recently opened my event viewer after one of these episodes and it said my computer shut down due to graphics card overheating.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4800 series and Windows 7. I ran a temp check and my graphics card was extremely hot (like 96 degrees Celsius hot). I have cleaned the dust out and there is no dust clogging the fan.

So my questions are what kind of fan can I install to cool this graphics card? And do you guys know of a simple how-to video or something to show me the correct way to do it?

Attached is a screenshot of the program I used to see how hot my computer was. Thank you for all of your help in advance.

Attachments

• heatissue.jpg
    heatissue.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 9
When was the last time you re pasted the card? If you've never took it apart and put fresh thermal paste on the GPU then it's probably all dried out causing an overheat.

Well first if you decide to get new fan'(s) then you would need to make sure you get one that fits with the chassis (body of the compputer, or the box as some peoples call it)

and also the smaller the fan is the more sounds it make, and the bigger the fan is, the less sounds it makes.

as i did, i have option to install a top fan, a rear fan and front fan + fans inside the body of the computer and i also use a cpu fan that actually is large enough to cool down the entire pc by itself (not neccecary for everyone and its bit expencive.)

but what i would do is that double check if the fans on the gpu runs at a reasonable speed, if not change them out then put on some external fans if you got enough space. i recommend that you use enough fans so you can actually feel the wind when ou put the hand inside the machine pretty well.

(inside mine i got full turbulence but for me its neccecarly because of the areas my computer are in)

and also heres a video for thermo paste applying if you need: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rn0BqMyXBM

Last edited:
Case fans in this situation probably won't help at all if his thermal paste is dry because it's causing poor contact with the heatsink. This is particularly bad with older cards that haven't been maintained.

OP hasn't posted since, so all other points moot anyways.

Case fans in this situation probably won't help at all if his thermal paste is dry because it's causing poor contact with the heatsink. This is particularly bad with older cards that haven't been maintained.

OP hasn't posted since, so all other points moot anyways.

well i do agree if the case is lack of fresh paste, but it isnt allways its the paste thats the problem. but indeed its happening very often as not everyone is aware of what a therm paste really is.

but yes its indeed a thing to check out.

His card is a 4870 or 4850. If he hasn't changed paste since he bought it, it's gonna be the paste as they are quite old. I had to change the paste on both my 4850s and 4870s back in the day within 6 months of use. How he's gone this long is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom