Is this a decent gaming laptop?

Hey guys, thanks for all the help but I've just heard this.

https://pood.elion.ee/productInfo/24/sulearvuti-asus-n56jr/N56JR-CN176H?filter=806-5181

That's the laptop (sorry it's in estonian but you can see the specs pretty much)

I've been told that the manufacturer does not support win7 and if I still want to try putting win 7 on it then and something goes wrong, I can't revert back to win8 again, ever? I've never heard of not being able to put an os on pc/laptop before.

Any advice? Thanks.

i7 prosessor is a pretty beast prosessor and i would rather go for one with 8gb (it doesnt have to cost a lot to be good)
reason for 8gb: to make sure you dont run out of memory when you use the computer. trust me have been there, not a cool thing :p

i6 works good, i5 is little less than decent, i7 is beast and its not too expencive either. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, appreciate that feedback but that's just not going to happen. I realise obviously there is much better hardware out there but this is as good as it's getting.

Any comments on my above post?

Hey guys, thanks for all the help but I've just heard this.

https://pood.elion.ee/productInfo/24/sulearvuti-asus-n56jr/N56JR-CN176H?filter=806-5181

That's the laptop (sorry it's in estonian but you can see the specs pretty much)

I've been told that the manufacturer does not support win7 and if I still want to try putting win 7 on it then and something goes wrong, I can't revert back to win8 again, ever? I've never heard of not being able to put an os on pc/laptop before.

Any advice? Thanks.

They're correct that Asus themselves don't have any Win7 drivers, which means you'd have to hunt them down yourself individually (chipset, sound, graphics, maybe USB3, etc.). And then like I mentioned before, you'd have to see if any of the Asus software (if you wanted it) would work on Win7.

Honestly, Win8 isn't bad. My wife and I have been using it since release and I prefer it over Win7. If you really want a start menu back, just get ClassicShell, StartIsBack, or Start8. They all add a start menu so you never have to see any Metro UI stuff.

But yes, you can reinstall Win8. You'll usually either have to make recovery discs yourself when you first get the computer, or use the recovery partition on the HDD.

i7 prosessor is a pretty beast prosessor and i would rather go for one with 8gb (it doesnt have to cost a lot to be good)
reason for 8gb: to make sure you dont run out of memory when you use the computer. trust me have been there, not a cool thing :p

i6 works good, i5 is little less than decent, i7 is beast and its not too expencive either. :)

You can always upgrade RAM easily and for fairly cheap. Plus, 6GB is plenty for most people.

Also...wat? :confused: There's no such thing as an i6. It's i3, i5, and i7.

the i3 was an spelling error from me, i ment i5, i6 and i7

and it does exist :
https://www.komplett.no/search?q=Intel+Core+i7

i ordered it yesterday and installed it on my pc yesterday.
I never said the i7 doesn't exist lol... I said an i6 doesn't exist :p.

oops correction i3
haha sorry im at work right now ^^
little bit stressed. my bad
i ment i3,i7,i5 xD
i3: fair enough
i5: little less than decent, but not too bad
i7 Totally beast :p

An i5 is plenty good for gaming, since games are primarily single threaded. Compression, video conversion, and media apps are multithreaded and benefit from the i7.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

In laptops it greatly depends on the individual processor because a lot of i5s and i7s are pretty much the same. Not all laptop i5s are dual core and not all laptop i7s are quad core.

I never said the i7 doesn't exist lol... I said an i6 doesn't exist :p.

An i5 is plenty good for gaming, since games are primarily single threaded. Compression, video conversion, and media apps are multithreaded and benefit from the i7.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/
yes sorry in know i just read wrong my pardon. seem like my head is starting to get tired hahaha time for bed kevin !!!!! xD

sorry for the misunderstandings xD
i experienced that my previous i5 was a little bit short for a few extreme games. but when i got my i7 it worked like a ticking clock :)

well it worked with the i5, but not optimal as prefered.

Last edited:
There are several different Eurocom models.
Alienware is all name and hype man.

I didn't see the higher psu option, and everything you said has been *****ed about on AW Forums.
I got an AW as I needed an 18" screen.

The 17 models do have screen options, and Dell seems to think they know what their customers want more than the consumer themselves.
And while not easily accessible, support will give you the upgrade lists.

I'm not saying AW is the top ****, but they make decent machines, but being a Dell they seem over priced compared to MSI/ASUS.

I didn't see the higher psu option, and everything you said has been *****ed about on AW Forums.

The 17 models do have screen options, and Dell seems to think they know what their customers want more than the consumer themselves.

I'm not saying AW is the top ****, but they make decent machines, but being a Dell they seem over priced compared to MSI/ASUS.

I will say they have nice extended/extra warranty service if you get it. My buddy that has the 17x R3 had his video card going out and called for service. They had a tech come to his house and swap it out for him rather than have him shipping it out and have them fix it at a repair center.

I do not see any screen options for either the 17 or the 18" models right now.

Their top end 17" model is 4 grand with only a single GPU and barely any customizable options where HDDs, GPU, RAM, and processor are concerned. I also do believe you void the warranty the instant you swap a part. For 3 grand I can get a 980m, 4940MX, 120Hz matte equipped screen with the 660w adapter option to add another 980m later without voiding warranty. That comes with a 250GB mSATA Samsung EVO and a 1TB 7200RPM drive taboot. For about 3800 if I want a 12lb monster I can have a 4930k (yes, X79 chip hex) equipped laptop as well with similar specs as the previous. They don't have the 980m in their drop down list though for that model. A real desktop replacement in a portable package.

Being Alienware (even since before Dell) they have been seriously over priced due to bling and the name. You are definitely not getting bang for your buck from them, you're buying a flashy toy. I can understand if you want to defend them because you own one, but the facts and the facts man.

Back
Top Bottom