Wattage requirements for my new system

Wolfboi42

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, Im new to the forums and I recently built a new system, Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150, Intel i7 4790k @ 4.0 ghz quad core, 8GB RAM Corsair Vengeance 1 DDR3, 1 240G SSD Kingston, 2 7200 RPM HDD's SATA connection, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 and Msi gtx 660 twin frozr gaming (SLI Bridged) and a Xion 1000W PSU, I am wondering however, is this Wattage on my PSU enough to run what i have installed? (Im willing to remove unnecessary drives or the cd drive i forgot to mention if necessary)

If possible, I would also need help on setting up the SLI and being able to install drivers for the two cards? Im having issues doing so thanks

1000w is completely overkill for your setup, but if you have the availability I highly suggest sending that PSU back and getting a quality unit as it's not a good PSU.

You cannot SLI a 970 and 660.

Ok, well...I've had no issues with my PSU so far and I dont feel the need to return it, but I heard that you can run the two GPU's without the SLI...if so how is this possible?

Suit yourself, but they are bad units made to old ATX standards with sloppy execution. Even if it's worked, I'd still look at replacing it sometime in the near future. The PSU is the #1 part in your machine. Just food for thought.

You have both in your machine at the same time. The best card you use as your main GPU, the second you use whatever reason you may have. Extra desktop monitors, PhysX, bout it. THe 970 would be better for PhysX anyways. Not really a reason to have the 660 in your machine unless you want to have several extra displays for your desktop which can't be extended for gaming.

I just wanted to use the 660 to mess around and have a little fun with monitors and what not, and mostly just test the setup and stuff, I will only use the 970 for gaming, but im having troubles getting BOTH gpu's installed and working, as its only reading the 970, any suggestions?

Make sure both GPUs are in the red slots, with the 970 being in the top slot, have monitor plugged into 970, and don't have the SLI bridge on. Download the latest Nvidia drivers off their site (I think 344s) and then uninstall from program files all Nvidia software. Reboot when prompted. After that, use display driver uninstaller to remove the rest of the Nvidia remnants on your machine. Do a reboot and then install the latest drivers. After this both cards should be usable in your machine. If you want to game on the 970 you'll need your main monitor hooked up to that. Other monitors you want to use for desktop extension can be plugged into the 660 if you want, although it's all a bunch of work really for nothing.

Well, the issue now seems to be that even after completely uninstalling all drivers, it wont install both GPU drivers, only the 970, keep in mind one is EVGA and the other is MSI, that might be an issue im not 100%

Back
Top Bottom