Change boot disc in win2k (or NT4) server

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexlucas

Beta member
Question:
Is it possible to change the boot disc on a win2k server?

Background:

1. My harddisc partially crashed (all partitions are NTFS, including boot partition), but I was still able to boot from the disc using a NT4 Server installation present on the disc.

2. Installed a new HD, booted from the old one using NT4 Server,
added the disc, formatted it, installed win2k Server on it.

3. Moved all data still intact from the old disc.

4. If I remove my old disc it won't boot, since it's configured as boot disc. Need to change it, can't mark it as active in Disc Manager...

Any ideas? (Looks like I have to do it all over again, removing the old disc first, fresh install to the new one, attach the old and then move the data.)

/thanks!

Me, myself and I

Since noone has come up with a solution, I'll deliver one myself:

1. Pull the power plug for the old, halfbroken disc
2. Boot from a win2k server cd
3. Make a fresh install on the new disc, using the same partition as the old one, just not writing over the functioning winnt/ directory. (I installed it in a new directory winn2/)
4. Somewhere in the process the installer obviously fixes the boot record too, cause it's from now on possible to boot from the new disc.
5. Edit the boot.ini file, add an option to boot from the winnt/ catalog, set as default.

Next step is to remove all unnecessary stuff in the winnt2/ directory, but I haven't dealt with that yet. Just happy I'm up and running. Guess I'll basically have to keep the ntldr and the boot.ini files. (?)

/ "Själ är bäste dräng" as we say in Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom