pci express vs agp

Status
Not open for further replies.

æArchOAngelæ

Daemon Poster
ok i am baffled. what is this pci express deal? thats all video cards pretty much come in. its not fair.. do i have to replace my motherboard to go a pci express alot? if i do anyone got a website were i can purchase one? or a pic of a pci expres slot

oh yeah! i can get a video card for xmas and i can spend up to 230 maybe 250 what is my best choice of video card for gamming? games like doom 3 and sims 2 and counter strike?. right now i have a nvidia geforce fx 5200 ultra that came out of an my friends old alienware about 1 year old. here is the card i am l;ooking at for 230$ XFX GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / HDTV

or should i look into ati's? please sendlink of best video card for my money. i posted a topic similar like this before but the reply that was left was some what helpful and the link he gave me didnt work.

These are PCI-E slots:

grantsdale-pcie.jpg

The big slot is PCI-E x16 and the small slots are PCI-E x1

The x16 slot is way faster than AGP.

You can buy a PCI-E motherboard if you want, but current AGP cards are still faster, it can take some time for the gfx card manufacturers to develop cards that take advantage of the x16 speeds.

should i go with a ati radeon 9800? 128 mb version or just stick with the 6600, i was talking to one of my friends and he said he has heard good things about radeons x600's any1 know if it can handle doom 3 better than my fx 5200 ultra? right now i can play d3 with high settings and shadows on

STAY AWAY FROM THE X600!!!!!!!! I can't stress that to you enough. If you want ATI, either go with the Radeon 9800 Pro or the X700 Pro. The X600s are crap and are no better than a Radeon 9600 Pro. Probably your best choice would be the 6600GT from Nvidia. It will max out Doom 3 and HL2, even with a little AA and AF. It probably is your best bet if you want bang for your buck.

alright, 6600 it is, i have been lookin at it for awhile now and i think i want it. if anything changes for monbey wise i will move to a ati radeon 9800 pro and save 30-50$ is have too but i doubt it will

AVOID 9800PRO, ALTHOUGH, it is NOT a bad card by any means, its definantly beginning to show a few signs of age.IF your looking for outstanding performance, Id go for the 660Gt, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom