Random power saving mode + AMD driver stops working

Achuu

Beta member
So I get these moments where the computer decides to enter power saving mode randomly (more usual when in gaming but happens other times too). I notice that I can still hear whatever is going on (skype, game) but all peripherals have somehow disconnected and cannot do anything. I cannot exit it externally and will have to force a restart.

Another problem is that the computer randomly freezes and tells me that the AMD Display driver stops working and recovers. This happens when I'm watching videos, not gaming. I then quickly close the tab or exit the movie player. If I try to continue watching the video (or reopen the video file, page) after this, the computer will keep freezing up and eventually shutdown so I just restart it.

I figured these two are probably linked.
Any help will be awesome.
Thanks.

For starters tell us your syste specs also be sure to tell us what ATI gpu have and which catalyst version.
Disable power management within windows:
Disable Power Management on Windows 7 or Vista
Do that and see what happens for that day, if use a laptop hit the power button and make sure windows fully shuts down and close the lid.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
13 GB Memory
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Catalyst Version 14.9
CCC Version 2014.0915.1813.30937

I had the catalysts updated because they were quite old before, but problem persists.
The Power Management options were set to "never" as well.

Would this be a problem with the graphics card?

Have you checked your CPU/GPU temps to see what they're at to make sure your system isn't overheating? You can check with HWMonitor.

I'd recommend uninstalling the driver, running DriverSweeper from Guru3D: Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

And then reinstall the latest driver/CC from AMD's site.

I did all of that but it still doesn't solve the problem. The uninstall did give me a blue screen but worked the second time around.
The temperature ranges from 60-70 so I think that's ok.

I did all of that but it still doesn't solve the problem. The uninstall did give me a blue screen but worked the second time around.
The temperature ranges from 60-70 so I think that's ok.

For what component, did you mean gpu or cpu tempature ?
For the gpu your tempature is more then normal see here:
MSI HD 7770 Maximum Safe Temp? - HD - Graphics & Displays

For your intel cpu temps should average well around 70c as stated by intel.
What temperature should I be getting on I7 3770k with stock heatsink? [Solved] - Intel i7 - CPUs

If it were me I would choose a better thermal grease and heatsink.
ARCTIC MX4 Thermal Paste - 4gram - Newegg.com

That alone on your stock intel heatsink would drop the temps by 10%.
On normal loads it will stay from 35c-50c on full work load like adobe autocad, folding or high end pc games.
You'll hit 60c-70c on full load, try to keep your room tempature stable.
Usually that plays a major role on your system remaining at a stable tempature and not overheating.

Back
Top Bottom