Old Laptop. Looking for Ideas?

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I have an Older Laptop hear and I'm looking for Ideas as to what to do with it. It was originally designed for Windows 98SE, only has one USB possibly Rev.1.1 USB Port, its got VGA - D-Sub, CD R\W Drive but takes a LAN Card, as to from what I've Googled I need a Cable to connect it with the RJ-45 Connection for Wired Ethernet.The Laptop must about 10 to 15 years old. Should I Bin it or could I use it for anything?

The Laptop is a Dell CPi Windows 98SE and only has a 6GB HDD. Just looking for Ideas. I was going to put Mint on it, but the Laptop wont boot Via. the USB Stick, and when I've looked in the BIOS their is no option to Boot from USB Device.

Web server

How would I go about doing that iFargle? If I put Linux Puppy on it. With a USB Hub presumably Rev. 1.1 after getting some CD's to install it. What could I use a Web Server for? Its just crossed my Mind about plugging my External Drive in to the USB Port of my router after talking to Carnage.

^ You could do a samba share too. Share the files on the external drive around your network with it.

I wouldn't be of any help with Puppy Dog Linux if you did go that route.. I've never used it :tongue:

^ You could do a samba share too. Share the files on the external drive around your network with it.

I wouldn't be of any help with Puppy Dog Linux if you did go that route.. I've never used it :tongue:

Whats a samba share? How would I do that, simply plugging it Via. the USB Port on the router?

Well.. if your router has a USB port then yes, pretty much. Otherwise you'd have to install the smb software and configure it.

The general process:

Configure and mount the drive folder(s) you want to share
install samba

edit the configuration file to point to the files you want to share
(re)start samba daemon

connect to shares at "\\server-ip/ShareFolder"

Well.. if your router has a USB port then yes, pretty much. Otherwise you'd have to install the smb software and configure it.

The general process:

Configure and mount the drive folder(s) you want to share
install samba

edit the configuration file to point to the files you want to share
(re)start samba daemon

connect to shares at "\\server-ip/ShareFolder"

This is under Linux we are talking about? I think I'm getting lost. I could use the Desktops I have at the Minute being three Windows OS's and Linux Mint and simply plug it in Via the router and thus have it sharing across all four Computers. I can't do anything until I get some CD's for the CD Drive I have in the Laptop.

Back
Top Bottom