Replaced GTX560ti with new GTX970 and PC will no longer POST

Terhen

Beta member
My PC is a few years old and I decided to upgrade my GTX560ti to a GTX970.
After replacing and trying to boot up, I'm greeted with 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, which with my Asus P8P67 PRO I understand to mean a graphics card issue.

I tried the 970 in another PC and it appears to work just fine, so going back to mine I tried resitting in another PCI slot and still no joy. I tried clearing my CMOS and updated my BIOS which also didn't help. I've swapped around power sockets on my PSU which didn't make a difference, and the last thing I did was swap out the power cables which predictably didn't do anything.
After each change I reverted back to my old 560ti to test, and it continued to work every time.

So, is there anything else I can try? Or maybe there's some compatibility issue I have overlooked? It's getting pretty frustrating.

CPU: i5 2500k
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO
PSU: Corsair HX750

Both the graphics cards are MSI Twin Frozr editions.

That's odd but remember there being a similar issue with certain 770's with particular boards doing the same. Try uninstalling the driver with a good driver cleaner and maybe it will start as a default card, also make sure you have the 6 and 8 pins well seated, I've had that happen on my MSI 770 and stopped on the boot up, I reseated the plug and went on, I like MSI but wow did they make the card hard to put the power plugs in or take them out on the 770 anyway

The board issue was with proprietary OEMs not liking Nvidia cards due to the PC being shipped with AMD.

Yea that up there is what I tell everybody each time. Make sure the power cables are in there all the way. On newer cards it can be difficult and feel like it's in all the way but sometimes it's not and that will cause the PC not to post.

Curious, does the other computer where it works have a 4 pin molex connection on the motherboard? The GPU might be wanting more power from the PCI-e slot than the motherboard can provide...

Also, that motherboard is known to have boot issues, chances are it has issues with certain graphics cards wanting more power from the PCI-e slot.

My PC is a few years old and I decided to upgrade my GTX560ti to a GTX970.
After replacing and trying to boot up, I'm greeted with 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, which with my Asus P8P67 PRO I understand to mean a graphics card issue.

I tried the 970 in another PC and it appears to work just fine, so going back to mine I tried resitting in another PCI slot and still no joy. I tried clearing my CMOS and updated my BIOS which also didn't help. I've swapped around power sockets on my PSU which didn't make a difference, and the last thing I did was swap out the power cables which predictably didn't do anything.
After each change I reverted back to my old 560ti to test, and it continued to work every time.

So, is there anything else I can try? Or maybe there's some compatibility issue I have overlooked? It's getting pretty frustrating.

CPU: i5 2500k
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO
PSU: Corsair HX750

Both the graphics cards are MSI Twin Frozr editions.

Call msi international and explain your problem to them.
MSI UK - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
You're probably not gonna like this but I think you lack power.
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Gaming OC Video Card Review - Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained
View this page here as an example see the psu they use ?
You might want to consider looking into a 1000 watt psu.
See what msi says first about your issue and come back with what they said and what you want to do.

He doesn't need a 1000w PSU for a card that takes less power than what it's replacing. Nvidia calls for a minimum of 500w and this card could easily run on his machine with a quality 450w.

c0r could be on the right track, but I don't think so. All PCI-E slots provide 75w period and power connectors on boards are only there to stabilize the rails when multiple cards are being used and overclocked in benchmarking scenarios.

The issue is simply going to be a small incompatibility for whatever reason (maybe needs a new bios) or the card isn't being hooked up properly.

I REALLY don't think his PS is too weak for a single 970, Only thing that would stop it is if a rail in the PS was going bad, As for the issues with the 770 I checked with a friend and a 770 did the same so he called customer support and was told it wasa problem in the bios and wasn't updated as of yet, however a 760 worked fine in it but not the 770, there were a lot of people having that issue. So maybe if you try a bios update and see if that helps, It is a few years old so maybe there is something on a 970 that it doesn't recognise and stops the boot.

Dauntae

Last edited:
He doesn't need a 1000w PSU for a card that takes less power than what it's replacing. Nvidia calls for a minimum of 500w and this card could easily run on his machine with a quality 450w.

c0r could be on the right track, but I don't think so. All PCI-E slots provide 75w period and power connectors on boards are only there to stabilize the rails when multiple cards are being used and overclocked in benchmarking scenarios.

The issue is simply going to be a small incompatibility for whatever reason (maybe needs a new bios) or the card isn't being hooked up properly.

Some cards, like the Titan (yeah, i know, very different) can use upwards of 150w on the slot alone in extraordinary cases but works fine with 75w on the slot, I just know some boards struggle to provide power at times.

All that aside, it's the mobo, not the card that is the issue.

Wait, what? PCI-SIG states only 25w available from PCI-E edge connector and an additional 50w from 2x4 connector. Technically the slot only provides 25w and it's up to the board manufacturers whether or not they want to provide more or not which usually leads to about 75w.

Either way though, his 560ti takes more wattage so it wouldn't be a wattage issue with the board or PSU concerning the 970. Just an incompatibility. Also the OP hasn't posted since.

Back
Top Bottom