Problem with an ATI 9600SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pravus

Beta member
I just got an 9600SE the other day and it won't work.. When I put the card in the screen stay black and it has one long beep and two short (From what I found it means there is a problem with video....) I don't know what the problem is and I can't figure this one out on my own, it needs 4x/8xAGP to run these are the specs of my computer

P4 1.3ghz
oddball mother board from an old HP - "HP WMTA System board" is all I know it as (which supports 4xAGP)
PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 for HP (Which I have been told I may have to upgrade to fix this but not sure what upgrade will work with it and thats not something I really want to toy with unless I know)
384MB Rambus Ram

I dunno what other specs would be Valid to this problem, but this is killin me.. If Anyone could help me out with this problem I'd be extreamly greatfull, If you need other specs I am using a program called ASTRA32 to figure out what this machine is made from

put the old card back in .See if you cant boot up regular or safe and uninstall the ATI stuff then use driver cleaner 3 to remove any remaining drivers .If you unstalled the Older video card ri-install it . Then yes update your bios if you dont no how id recomend seeking help .After your updated then find the latest Drivers .Sense your system is pretty old id stick with ATI drivers
Uninstall your old VC then restart but dont let the OS reinstall the card use Driver Cleaner 3 again and remove any remaining VC drivers then shut down and power off unplug PS .Remove the old VC and install the new 1 .Boot up and cancel auto install from Operating System once your booted locate your Driver download exe and launch it.

The problem with Updating the bios is I am not totally sure what the bios can update to since it's some bastard combine from HP and Phoenix.. I am not totally sure what I can do without really messing it up, I've updated them before just then I knew what it was.. other then that I am running on my old VC untill I can fix this because I only have one working machine at the moment so I have been trying somehting then popin the ATI in then it fails so I pop in the GeForce again.. But I will try the rest of that

sense the MB was made for HP seek bios updates from HP site there may be some Utilities there to help identify your System Board and get the correct bios .

Everything on HPs site is based on what you have (HP Pavilion 7800 Desktop PC series kinda deal) and since I don't know what the MB came from exactly thier site is failing to help me so far, However the Astra32 program I found is about the only thing thats been able to let me know what the exact specs of this comp are, but not what HP it came from.. I have been looking for some program that would be able to detect what my bios can be upgraded to since it's some sort of PhoenixBIOS I have been searching thier site like no tomorrow..

Also another little problem, Is there ANY way to update the bios without a floppy drive?

yea you may be able to order a bios chip from the chip maker flashed and ready to go_On those older systems theres usually a big sticker on the chip with a series of identifying numbers with the words BIOS right on them along with the maker. Just remove the old 1 install the new 1... at a price of course .Once you determine who made it email Tech support with all the info you have .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom