help needed with buying a computer & graphics card from Best Buy.

MoeNAGY

Baseband Member
i'm buying from Best Buy because I have a $1000 credit card with them

i wanted the GTX 970 and Best Buy doesn't carry it.

none of the computers they come come with gtx 780
so I want to know which computer to buy from them ,, that will be comaptible with the gtx 780 as i buy it separate ?

this is their list: Gaming Desktop Computers - Best Buy

Please be patient with me, go down the list and help me find best system at reasonable price to carry the GTX 780.

please note* the card GTX 780 SUPER CLOCKED will be $400
and here is the link to it EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card 03G-P4-2784-KB - Best Buy
, so I want the computer to be no more than $650 to $700

** I want to be sure that CPU i buy is decent so that no bottle necking happens **

Last edited:
You didn't need to make a separate thread for this BUT I'll reply here.

That computer that you have linked from the other thread is basically the same PC you said you already had from the other thread. It carries the same FX4300 from before. Same stuff, different name. So do you have that other computer or not?

o woow that's crazy that one is $1000 in best buy ! i didn't get it yet, i still have my old one, the one we spoke about be4 .. but it seems that i have to change lots of things in in it .. processor/power supply/ probably mother board and even windows .. might as well buy a new one. so since i have this $1000 credit card with best buy I need ur help to pick of of their systems that will work on GTX 780

Not sure if things have changed but the prebuilts at best buy will most likely all need to upgrade the power supply to run a 780, prebuilts usually just have a OEM PS that's just barely enough power for the system it's running, they don't put extra power because it would raise the cost and the average user who just surfs the web and checks email wouldn't want to pay more and those are there biggest customers, Most gamers who go for the better power supplies usually build there own systems so not usually any great options for high end parts in off the shelf computers.

Dauntae

o woow that's crazy that one is $1000 in best buy ! i didn't get it yet, i still have my old one, the one we spoke about be4 .. but it seems that i have to change lots of things in in it .. processor/power supply/ probably mother board and even windows .. might as well buy a new one. so since i have this $1000 credit card with best buy I need ur help to pick of of their systems that will work on GTX 780
Or you could just use the money you have now and simply update the parts you need to update instead of wasting a bunch of money buying the same parts you already have and essentially not really upgrading.

With 1000 bucks you could reuse some of the stuff you have now and either build yourself a new PC or just update the CPU, PSU, and GPU and call it a day.

If I was you in your situation right now, I would do this.

Buy this CPU.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-core-i5-4430-3-0ghz-processor/1421015.p?id=1219051766285&skuId=1421015&st=categoryid$abcat0507010&cp=1&lp=4

Buy this motherboard.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-h81m-a-desktop-motherboard/1308797388.p?id=mp1308797388&skuId=1308797388&st=categoryid$abcat0507008&cp=1&lp=14#tab=buyingOptions

Reuse the RAM you have in your current PC.

Wait for Best Buy to get a GTX 970 in stock (seriously it's faster and cheaper than a 780)

Reuse your HDD.

Buy this PSU.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-rm-series-650w-power-supply/2878007.p?id=1219080297963&skuId=2878007&st=categoryid$abcat0507009&cp=1&lp=15

Reuse your current case.

That should also leave you some money to get better peripherals or an SSD.

PP Mguire .. UR idea sounds great again man lololol .. are u sure that Intel - Coreâ„¢ i5-4430 3.0GHz Processor will not bottle neck man, and do u think it can handle GTA 5 with it comes out? .. I want no issues, so if I need to go a step higher please let me know .. and ARE U POSITIVE about this mother board ? i'm taking this for granted man ... now IDK about the 970 cuz idk when they will gave it available, they said their GTX 780 is super clocked thou will that make a difference?

Yes, I'm sure about that i5 and motherboard. There are several others who have gone with similar build suggestions (same CPU but the K model of motherboard....same thing really) and it worked out great for them. GTA 5 there's no telling. It could be poorly optimized on the CPU side like GTA 4 or it could be all GPU dominant like most other games. If it is CPU heavy like GTA 4 I still highly doubt it'll give any issues.

Now if you really want to spend more money.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-core-i5-4670k-3-4ghz-processor/1420917.p?id=1219051768459&skuId=1420917&st=categoryid$abcat0507010&cp=1&lp=2
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-motherboard-intel-z87-express-chipset-socket-h3-lga-1150/1307603925.p?id=mp1307603925&skuId=1307603925&st=categoryid$abcat0507008&cp=1&lp=44#tab=buyingOptions

It typically takes them a little bit to trickle in with stock. Easiest and best way is to call them and ask when they might get some GTX 900 series cards in stock.
Superclocked simply means it has a very small factory overclock on the card. A GTX 970 is still faster and cheaper. It's worth the wait. You have until January for GTA 5.

PP Know what he's talking about, Super clocked cards are just a way to get more money out of buyers, They pretty much ALL come with a program that allows you to overclock so if you get the 970 stock speed all you have to do is bring up the speeds to match the over clocked card and they will be the exact same, only difference is they are set different for there stock speed but both are the same card and once set will perform the same.

Back
Top Bottom