Silencing the Animal (fan controller advice request)

small256

In Runtime
Hello folks, it's been a while.

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on the best options for quieting a 140mm Scythe Slipstream intake and a 120mm Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm that I'm using for a top-of-case exhaust/radiator fan.

I'm using a Lian Li Q08 so I only have one front bay and that's already in use. I'm not averse to cutting holes but I'd rather avoid it.

I've looked at the Zalman Fanmate, which seems suitable in theory but I'd probably hide them inside with only the controller on show (I'm comfortable with drilling holes). Would two be better for independent control or one and a splitter?

A full bay controller isn't out of the question but as said, I'd have to cut a hole for it and, if positioned on the front, it would have to be no longer than 40mm for HDD cage clearance. And be matte black. And for three-pin cables. With only two controllers!

Any suggestions?

Those are already pretty quiet fans as it is. Where do you have them plugged into? If you have them plugged into the motherboard then your bios should be able to control them.

Those are already pretty quiet fans as it is. Where do you have them plugged into? If you have them plugged into the motherboard then your bios should be able to control them.

They are indeed, that's why I bought them! Unfortunately, it's not me bothered by the noise else I'd have left them as they are.
One is plugged into the motherboard, the other is on a molex adapter unfortunately, with no free three-pins on the board. But even with the motherboard connection, I'd prefer to be able to change the speeds at will - up them during gaming when I'm in the the room alone etc.

Well there are a few options.

The first that comes to mind that would be a 'simple' answer is the NZXT Grid+ which can be controlled via their CAM software. You can create custom fan ramp profiles. The downside being it's pretty pricey.

Nifty piece of kit. It would certainly avoid holes, which is a plus.
Pricier, as you say, but not entirely out of the question. My only other concern would be whether it's a tad on the overkill side.

Having said that, it would last until I finally decide to stop stubbornly building around itx.

Well there are a few options.

Any other gems?

These are more expensive and maybe not applicable to your situation.

The first being grab yourself an H80i or H100i with Corsair Link and connect the two case fans to that to control the fans from Corsair software.

The other being something like this kit.
aquaero 5 LT USB fan controller (without display / faceplate) - # 53095 - Fan Controllers

Lastly, there are some PSUs that allow fan control via the PSU software. I believe Thermaltake has a digital PSU that allows fans to be connected to it and can control fan speed via their digital monitoring software. Corsair and Seasonic may have something like this too, but not something I really pay attention to in a PSU.

As tempting as "Extensive alarm options" are, I think you might be right in the aquaero not being applicable.

I have realised though, that I could potentially move the watercooler cable to the molex and run both case fans from the motherboard. There's no issue with that, right?

according to your boards manual, the Z68 ITX motherboard does have two fan headers on it and if you look in the H/W Monitor section of the bios, there are fan settings for this board too
ZOTAC Z68: ZOTAC - It's time to play!

There web site is painfully slow though

H/W Monitor
The items in this menu allow you to monitor the hardware status. Press <enter>to
display the configuration options:
CPU FAN Control Mode
Use this item to select CPU FAN Control mode.
Start Temperature
Use this item to select the start temperature.
Start Fan Dutycycle
Use this item to select the start fan dutycycle.
Highest Fan Dutycycle
Use this item to select the highest fan dutycycle.
SYS Fan Control Mode
Use this item to select SYS FAN Control mode.
Fan Dutycycle
Use this item to select the fan dutycycle.
You can get a 3/4 pin fan splitter to control two fans from one fan header on the motherboard. Then you can have your bios automatically adjust your fan speeds for more cooling when you need it

Last edited:
He wants to be able to control the fans from within Windows though. I had already mentioned the bios before but he said he wants a controller so he can control the fan speeds from within Windows before he brings up a game.

Back
Top Bottom