strange PSU issue.

Shade747

Solid State Member
So a few weeks ago I (thought) I finished building my computer until I learned I did not have the proper fan and ram. At this point in time when I plugged in the I'll fitting fan it was able to power up, along with the graphics card's fan and the PSU'S...skip ahead to now and u have the ram and the proper fan and suddenly the only thing that will power up are the LED'S mounted in the front....I tried a new power supply but I got the same result, none of the fans will power up and the computer is clearly not functioning....the PSU'S been plugged into the 24 pin and the 8 pin....its fan should be working at the very least?

Any ideas? I'm just hoping the Motherboard isn't fried....

So the fan on the PSU isn't spinning?

What about on the spare PSU? Does it's fan spin at all?

You could try removing the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard and try to power up to make sure nothing is shorting out.

I'll try that later today but as for right now literally nothing is powering up....the psu fan won't spin, the cpu fan isn't, not even the graphics card's fan...the only thing seemingly getting power is the front mounted led's...

Make sure everything is plugged in properly/securely. Triple check everything to make sure nothing is loose (especially the RAM - I've had similar issues where I didn't lock the RAM in tight enough and I wouldn't get anything from the system).

Also, if you could, post your specs.

Let's get your specs. You have listed your PC is a pre-built so there could be some proprietary hardware causing your setup not to turn on.

When you take the motherboard out, leave the HDDs and such unplugged and leave the GPU off ATM. If the setup powers on out of the case put it back in and continue leaving the HDDs and such unplugged and the GPU out. If the PC doesn't power on then you have a short somewhere.

If the PC doesn't power up outside of the case with just the CPU/motherboard/RAM then it could be the new PSU is dead or the motherboard requires a proprietary PSU. When we get your PC model we can assess that from there.

Hey guys.

It's not a prebuild. I'd gotten several compatable parts and put them all together

The mother board is a Dell 5dn3x, i7 900 series processor, ddr3 ram 1600mhz (kingston), and an nvidia GeForceGt 630

Oh yea that's right, I remember you asking about the board before. Your about me states prebuilt so that's why I said that.

Did you do what I said before? Does it even attempt to come on with no RAM installed? If it came on before you replaced those 2 parts, then either something you did caused it to fail or something is installed wrong causing it not to power up.

No luck....another anomaly is that the led's won switch off even if I flip the back power button.... (on the psu this was occurring with both power supplys)

Well....I guess it's safe to assume it's fried then...any idea as to where I can take it to get checked?

Back
Top Bottom