Save Me!! Downloading At Average 5kb/s On Cable!!! >=[

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would definitly right click and choose uninstall on all those network adapters while in safe mode, then boot back up into normal and it should re-install just the correct one.

To reset TCP/IP in windows XP. Click on start > Run and type in command. Hit ok to get a DOS prompt.

Type in: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt <ENTER>
netsh<ENTER>
dump<ENTER>
exit<ENTER>
now reboot and try it again.

i tried uninstalling them in safe mode but it wouldnt let me,
also, when i uninstall the network adapter in this computer, i restart and it doesnt even go away =*(

Ok.. what you have here is a problem with your IP stack. I used to run into this every once in a while when I was doing PC installs for Road Runner. With any Windows OS but XP or 2k it wouldn't be much of a problem. (all of the others don't rely so heavily on the network settings).

The cause is a combination of poorly written drivers and damage to the windows registry. If the damage wasn't that bad, you could clear them in Safe Mode. However, since you have adapters that are showing up in safe mode, but not in Normal mode.... You got problems.. Pretty much to only way to clear this kind of a problem, once it gets to this level, is to backup your critical data, format, and reinstall..

**** I only mention this next option because it is possible ****
**** doesn't mean it's a good idea ****

There is another option, but I would HIGHLY suggest against it. It should be possible to manually delete all of the adapter files through windows explorer, and then use regedit to remove all of the registry entries. However, You can do SERIOUS damage with that, to the point that hardware won't ever work properly again. Especially if the hardware has flashable firmware. However, I've worked as a technician for several years and I would only do this if I had ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER CHOICE.

Well, I am sure that this isn't something you were hoping for, but it'll get it working.

Alexander

noooooooo i really dont wanna reformat, i just reformated!!

isnt there a way to delete the llinksys ethernet card driver?
i mean everytime i try, it really doesnt delete, its just back there.

and another thing, ive also used network places, theres a view workgroup computer, when i click on that, its my computer, is there a way to reset that?

i know there must be another option

i just contacted my isp and they gave me the lamest idea, i knew it wouldnt work.

they told me to disconnect the router, release ip, connect straight to modem, renew ip,
yea it didnt work, said i had a problem about DHCP,

also, when i type ipconfig /renew in cmd, it says "Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: WorkGroup"

does that help any ? =(

have you tried

releasing and renewing your ip addy in c prompt? you could try that, also i would check to see what kind of cable you are running, now correct me if im wrong Ecniv, but to go from a router to a computer you dont need a rollover cable, but you migh if youre going straight from the modem, as the router will have a rollover inside of it right? another thing i would try is (depending on how many ports your router has) plugging your internet into the next to last port and the computers into the other ones.

Actually, he doesn't need a crossover with either the router or the modem. The only time you ever need a crossover cable is if you are using a really old hub that doesn't have an uplink port. Or if you are going directly from one pc to another pc. There are other times that it's necessary, but nothing that a home user will run across.

Alexander

I just caught something that you put in a previous post.. You said that you removed the linksys network adapter and restarted and it was back again.. Win XP will autoinstall devices that it has drivers preloaded for (like nics that were just uninstalled but not removed).

Ok.. Try this.. uninstall the network adapter.. After the uninstall don't restart, SHUT DOWN. after it is shut down... Pop the box and physically remove the card. Put the top back on and start the computer back up.. If the NIC is not showing in device manager then XP was autoinstalling it.. If it IS showing.. You're pooched..

If it doesn't show up.. then shut it back down.. Replace the card in a different slot than it was in to begin with (yes this can make a difference) and reboot the machine.. If it's back after you replace it, then go to your sisters PC, go to the linksys website and download the updated drivers for your card (copy any pertinant information about the card from device manager) and save them to floppy..

Take the floppy back to your computer and go back into device manager, into properties for the card and then to the driver tab.. Click on update driver and manually install the drivers from the floppy..

If that doesn't work (and the NIC disappeared from Device manager when it was physically removed) go get a new NIC (Prefferably a 3com) and install that.. If that doesn't work, then at least you have a new NIC, and 3com tech support is fantastic. If they can't fix it, they will give you a DEFINATE answer as to what needs to be done..

However, if you physically remove the NIC after uninstall and it still shows up in Device manager then you are right back to Format and reinstall..

Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom