baracuda 1tb hard drive disappeared after power loss

I can attest that the freezer trick can work. I have a external drive that crashed and i put it in the freezer, forgot about it for a week, got it back out and it worked fine since then. (obviously i don't use it for important things now.)

................and Do Not Beat on your Hard Drive with anything..... Not even a Screw Driver

That trick can sometimes work if the head is locked in place and won't move.

I've heard it many times - same with the freezer trick. Both are generally last-resort. It's not like he just randomly decided to start beating on it.

it worked for me many times and with other electronics.
my dads drive was damaged so It would freeze it would stay frozen for 10-15 minutes or until I kick it and then it would continue reading. that was back in 1998

this one showed up in my computer right after I gave it few good taps on the cover
but it looks like I cant do anything with it anyway
no point in formatting it since it defies the purpose of tring to bring it back to life its ok I just let it be and not buy a damn Seagate again.

I have a corner full of Seagate garbage turns out
3 hard drives and 2 home theater plus boxes that have locked firmware cant be modified of updated so 200 dollars wasted right after they came out. Seagate is just sketchy in my opinion

but **** ill give the freezer a try who knows. It might just give enough life to pull some files off it or maybe even run a chkdisk

If you can get the disk to work while it's cold, and keep it chilled without building moisture on it, you could possibly get it scanned with recovery software, but that's pretty much all you will be able to do unless you send it off to a recovery center that can pull and extra the data from the platters.

I like how that Backblaze article keeps appearing in HDD discussion. Enterprise level tests do not equate to consumer experiences. Sort of like Joe and his obsession with vibration.

I'll just quote this portion which people apparently glaze over when wanting to bash Seagate with their own issues.

Backblaze's data may look like making your next drive a Hitachi is a no-brainer, but it's important to remember that Backblaze runs drives harder than the average PC user ever could. So while Seagate products may go down all the time at the company, a PC user may never notice a problem during the lifetime of their PC.

For example, Backblaze said it will stop buying Seagate LP 2TB drives and Western Digital Green 3TB drives, because they just don't work in the company's environment. Part of the problem, Backblaze says, is these drives are designed to spin down when not in use to save power. That's a great feature for a home PC user, but in an industrial environment Backblaze says the drive would spin down only to spin back up a few minutes later. The end result being more wear and tear on the drive than it was designed for.

Refurbished 1.5TB drives, or that ****ty batch in general, attests to pretty much the majority of their failures which Seagate is only 21% lower in survival rate than WD in an enterprise test. Remove the terrible choice in test subjects (like seriously, everybody knows about the bad 1.5TB drives) and the difference is going to be around 5% between WD and Seagate. Then you have this piece in there.

Your risk of a complete hard drive failure over the long-term might be higher with Seagate than Hitachi, Backblaze's numbers suggest at first glance but there's no guarantee that will happen. In fact, Backblaze's earlier study showed that hard drives are actually pretty reliable overall over a four-year stretch, even in a server farm. And hey, a number of individual Seagate models actually had a longer average age than Hitachi products!

In short, everybody is going to have a bad time with a certain product and then want to bash for whatever reason. Sure, take out your frustration, but when it comes down to it if you think you have an issue just buy the other company and be done with it. If I did to WD like everybody else does to Seagate I'd never recommend a single WD product because out of the 20 or so drives I've had from that company a single WD drive has worked for me. Thing is, I don't.

Ehh, I have numerous disks PP most likely more than you do at this point, and in all honesty I treat my Seagates better than WD and have higher failures with them (seagate), as do many others... I understand your love for Seagate, but I also once loved them just as much till I noticed several of them had gone bad for no reason and that the disks resembled that of Maxtor disks that liked to die from sector cancer. Seagate doesn't even go by MTBF anymore and came up with their own little standard which is rather annoying as a whole.

Last edited:
At one time Seagate did make good drives, and it's been quite a while since they could build a good drive
Today Seagate drives are a waste of your money. It's just a plain fact PP
I was going to stay out of this thread PP but if your going to bring up my name, I'll make a comment. When you RMA a Seagate drive, the replacement drive might be as bad as the drive you RMA'd, which could have contributed to the Backblaze report but it wasn't only the Seagate drives they used.... They also used other refurb'd brands and the report shows that these consumer Seagate drives are crap

Eh, "love" for Seagate? I'm in the process of switching to HGST like I had mentioned in a few threads before this one. Last time I counted I had about 21 drives and all but 2 are Seagate ranging from old as nails to their last real 7200RPM drive (3TB). 0 issues. The bad 1.5TB is actually still going and even stopped throwing the SMART errors after fiddling with it for a while that one day.

How exactly can one treat a drive better than another? I assume you mean cooling or such? I bash the crap out of my drives regardless of brand. I can't even remember the last time I ran a defrag on any of them. Only the last 3 months or so have I had decent cooling on my drives but that's only because the ambient temp being well above the norm for myself. Rather to be honest, just because I had 2 spare fans laying around doing nothing. My now 6 regular drives still going strong running 24/7. One of them isn't even mounted in the case. It's just sitting on the bottom of the case metal to metal. The table my server is on gets bumped into constantly by the kids.

I can't count on both of my hands the damn horror stories I had with WD drives from the old to the new. If somebody gave me a good deal on a large Black or Blue I'd still buy it.

Edit: Joe, in an enterprise world my friend. The Backblaze report is consumer drives in an enterprise setup with unrealistic usage that no "regular" consumer would present to these drives. Why don't they test enterprise drives in their enterprise tests? Oh wait, because they're expensive as hell from either brand. I brought your name up because you're the #1 person to bring this exact report up. Last time I checked none of us on these boards has a bunch of huge metal boxes with what's that, 27,000 drives? All running at the same time with unrealistic demands consumers like ourselves wouldn't put to our drives.

And as such and I'll repeat. The bottom line is and always will be people will buy to what caters towards their good experiences. Anybody can Google anything to bring up negative towards something they want to argue towards. SSD or AIO cooler argument much? This is no different.

Last edited:
But they did use consumer grade WD's and Hitachi's also, so I think it is a fair comparison and proves that Seagate drive's really are crap hard drives.

I've never seen any other drive's shake, rattle and roll over dead like Seagate's do!

Back
Top Bottom