Official Windows 10 Thread

You have the choice of the Start Screen (like WIn8) or a "Hybrid" start Menu. You can remove all the tiles if you choose to, though. You can resize the tiles by right clicking a tile -> resize -> choose small/medium/large (only some tiles have option for large).

You mean the System Properties? Just like in WIn7.

1) Control Panel -> System
2) Open up 'This PC' in explorer (used to be 'Computer') -> System Properties from the ribbon
3) Add the "Thic PC" item to your Start Menu as a list item or a Tile -> right click -> Properties
^
And Windows+Pause/Break :)

LOL didn't realize this thread would blow up.

I was going to make another pointing people to the free preview. I'm installing it now - used it at work today. It's pretty slick. I would compare it to what Windows 7 was to Vista. What everyone essentially complained about in Windows 8 they changed in Windows 10.

And ya, the name is silly but 8 (not 8.1) was a flop so they wanted to distance themselves. Similar to what they did with Vista and Windows 7.

Creating another thread for the download.

Plus the windows branding in the past has been Windows 95, Windows 98.. From a branding standpoint even i could see them wanting to separate that generational gap.

Am I missing it or did they do away with the local account? Your only choice is to sign in with a MS email?

It's just kinda hidden, like in Win8. You have to choose to create an account, and then you can choose to not sign in with a Live Account.

You can create a local account - they just 'prefer' microsoft account. It will ask you to use your microsoft account first, but you can select to just create a local account.

You'll need an MS account to DL anything from the store

Or to provide feedback.

I didn't sign in with a Live account, and then when I opened the Feedback app it asked me to sign it - so I signed in, but chose the option to sign into apps individually rather than let all apps able to access my account.

I installed Windows 10 in a VM, and I haven't had any problems running it virtualized vs on "real" hardware. My first takeaway is that it is a lot more like windows 7, which seems to be the consensus here. I'd be curious to see how it works on a Windows tablet, like the Surface Pro; but as I unfortunately don't have one, I'll ha to be satisfied with running it in a VM.
Microsoft also just released a huge update for the technical preview, that I haven't had a chance to install yet.

Back
Top Bottom