Hit my computer

Shiron

Beta member
After working all school year and summer I finally got enough money to buy my dream computer. I finally got it working and started to play. After some playing I decided to move the mat from under my computer so I could use it as a mousepad my hand then slipped and my elbow went in to the back of my computer by were the wires connect To the motherboard. This wasn't a light tap but I couldn't imagine it would effect my computer because it wasn't extremely powerful. As soon as I hit it my monitor, keyboard and mouse, cpu fan and case fans lost connection. My computer is still lit up and according to the lights on my gpus I believe they are still getting power. So this leads me to believe that parts of my computer are still getting power while some things arnt because I knocked something loose in my computer. This seems weird to me though how only some things are getting power and me and my friend will soon be going inside my computer to make sure no wires or parts are loose inside it. I have already checked to make sure no outside wires are loose and I was also wondering what you guys thought of this and what exactly you guys think it is. I am not hearing any beeps but this could be because I dot have an audio card. I am also worried I fried one of my gpus or my heard drive because when I first got it built I did something stupid and cleaned my two gpus and harddrive off with a swiffer duster when the computer was off but still plugged it. Please don't call me a idiot because of this because I was tired and have already beat myself up to much over this. I don't believe this is the problem because I don't know why they would wait to break until I bumped the computer and my tech savy friends don't believe I hurt anything by pulling that idiotic move. What do you guys think.

So are any fans spinning (case fans, CPU fan, GPU fan) when you attempt to power it up?

Sorry I can't check right now because I am in school but I think the gpu fans might be working but I know for a fact the cpu fan isn't working and I don't think the case fans are working

Some things to check when you're at it:

Are any of the connections in the back bent?
You could try removing all peripherals from the back other than your monitor and a mouse/keyboard.
It's possible that a connector got bent on the board, and is shorting out against the case - so you could remove the board from your case, and set it on a piece of cardboard and try to boot the computer up outside of the case.

Do you think this could also be because of a loose wire or do you think it is probably what you said because some things are working while others are not?

Dunno how hitting it from the outside would cause an internal connection to come out (unless it was already loose to begin with) - but it's always possible. Eliminate what I've already suggested, and then we can go from there to see what else we can try if the above suggestions don't work (or if anybody else chimes in with suggestions).

Back
Top Bottom