Computer turning on for one second and then turning off and back on again

bingocat1000

Beta member
Hi, I'm building my first custom built PC and I finished yesterday and everything seemed to be working great. That is, until this morning when I decided to update the BIOS. The reason I did this is because I read on the Internet that for my particular board (an MSI z97-Gaming 5 motherboard), that it was a good idea to update it. So I did it, and then my computer started endlessly restarting itself after one second on it being turned on.

I've tried:

• Reseating the CMOS battery
  • Reseating the motherboard
  • Connecting the motherboard together outside the case
  • Powering the motherboard with the bare essentials
  • Replacing the power supply

The interesting thing was, I also replaced the power supply, after not getting a full reading on a power supply tester. The motherboard originally didn't fully power on again, but I took it out of the case and it worked, so I put it back in the case but it didn't work again. So I took it out of the case and it didn't work anymore. So I don't know what to do anymore. I've narrowed it down to two options, either it's the CPU or I bricked the motherboard. Anyone out here have any ideas?

Last edited:
Any beeps before it drops off? My guess is bricked the motherboard. Trying to Google around and see if there is a solution but you may have to RMA the board. Did anything go wrong with the BIOS flash? Did it ever boot at all after you did the flash or did it stop working as soon as you did it?

Yeah after the BIOS flash it soppped working. After some research, it turns out the BIOS update bricked the motherboard permenantly. Apparently it's a known issue with this motherboard. I swapped out the motherboard for a new one (different make and model) and everything is up and running!

Yeah after the BIOS flash it soppped working. After some research, it turns out the BIOS update bricked the motherboard permenantly. Apparently it's a known issue with this motherboard. I swapped out the motherboard for a new one (different make and model) and everything is up and running!

Glad you're back up and running!

Moral of the story: don't fix what ain't broke ;).

Generally for BIOS updates...don't update it unless you're having issues and a BIOS update is supposed to fix it.

I'm going to have to politely disagree. I have always found that doing a BIOS update on a new board is a good idea. Especially if it is a newish model. Early in the boards' life is when most of the bugs will be found and worked out. Hence BIOS revisions will come out more early in the life-cycle. Better to do an update on purchase when you are building the rig than to try to do one later (after the warranty has expired) and brick the board then.

That's just my two cents though.

If it's a new board then you can probably get an RMA to return it.....You'll most likely have to cough up about $10 or so to ship it back

Back
Top Bottom