Part 2: Save Me!! Downloading At Average 5kb/s On Cable!!! >=[

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaO_xTc_RaVeR

In Runtime
ok, i have my router/network card problem fixed.. now the only thing left..

im still downloading at the ghetto speed, it moved up maybe 4 kb/s, but i should still be gettin glike 30 or something,
anyways does anyone know the default settings for network card, i think that might have changed, i dont know =(

im running winxp
using linksys network card

ghetto speed, im running at, and yes tryed powercycling

i think thats the problem with cable. it uses a local shared loop technology,instead of individual lines running into each user, a shared line goes thru each user....which creates problems or difficulties when multiple users are active online on the same local loop. the bandwidth is shared so one user's activity can compromise another's speed....so this will usually depend area to area

I don't think that's the problem... I have two pcs and have had up to 10 on my cable connections durring a lan party.. We noticed only a minimal drop in speed when all 10 were connected.. Unless his connection sucks REALLY bad (which would slow down both PCs) there is no way that he should be downloading at under 200kbps.

Also, contrary to popular belief.. DSL uses shared loop technology too.. It just becomes shared later than cable does.. Cable becomes shared when it connects into the main line running through the neighborhood.. DSL becomes shared when it hits the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Module) also known as the Central Office or Junction box.. Either way it's still sharing bandwidth with everyone in the neighborhood. The "dedicated line" criz that DSL providers spout is nothing but advertising hype. Not to meantion you can boost the signal for a cable connection at any point along the main pipe.. you can't do that with DSL. If you are too far from the DSLAM (until phone technology advances dramatically) you won't be able to connect with DSL. That's why the loop length on dsl is so important while it isn't even remotely a consideration with cable..

LOL,..thanks for clearing that up, Alex. i got it from a computer magazine,..which was actually dated august 2001. probably doesn't apply much right now. good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom