Pentium or Athlon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
daveppeters said:
i don't know why anyone would even consider a pentium, unless you are rich and have money to blow!

For the more money you pay, you get a CPU which is easier on your power supply, generates less heat, thus increasing its overclockability (for those into tweaking).

chopper said:
Hi,

What processor do you think is better? Athlon or Pentium? I'm totally behind Athlon because I own one and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I also heard that a 1.4 Athlon can beat a 1.7 Pentium. For some reason that tells me something and Athlon is cheaper as well.

Anyways, who do you preffer?

Athlon. I can always find a better deal with them than going with the Pentium procs.

From what i know Athlons are faster in 2D tasks such as opening documents, word, spreadsheets etc....where as Pentiums are better in the 3D department such as games , multimedia presentations etc..also like someone said there stable when it comes to them keeping there cool. I think its personal choice ( coke or pepsi ) ...i myself went for the Pentium 4 and im happy with it - just my opinion :)

Personally, I have always used AMD, ever since the days of my first machine (K6 2-233).Then upgraded to a 500Mhz AMD chip. Looked to upgrade again and I found a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz chip on e-bay for £65. I bought it and got a mainboard to go with it and Ive never had a problem. My opinion is like many others in that it depends what you need it for. Incidently, those P4 chips are still on ebay (ebay.co.uk).Take a look!

I used to be an intel guy simply because they don't make bad chips, but as AMD progressed they too made excellent chips. I think it really is a matter of what you need and how much you have. Honestly you can't go wrong with either chip. Both companies and their chips have pros and cons. I own 6 PC's and 5 are pentium based, which run fine. They other one is Athlon based and runs great. In fact my next computer i am getting will have an Athlong XP 2000+. I have been happy with both processor lines and the reliability of both. So it really comes down to funds and personal liking.

I've always been an AMD guy, but if the Opteron isn't amazing, then my next computer will be an Intel.. AMD just hasn't been putting out anything worthwhile lately.. just a 66mhz clock increase every once in a while.. even the T-Breds aren't that great... :(

Also i think it depends a lot not only on the chip ( processor ) but the overall setup of your machine, things like memory , motherboard etc etc as some types of motherboard may not go well with the processor ..for example a P4 does not run at its full potential with SDram but stick a P4 with RDram and you can really see the difference .

UK-CD'Z said:
for example a P4 does not run at its full potential with SDram but stick a P4 with RDram and you can really see the difference .

The performance difference between SDR SDRAM and RDRAM is less than a hair thick... but since RDRAM is multi-threaded in hardware, the main significant difference is the amount of tasks which can be performed at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom