Mega Rig Advice

Seriously? If wear leveling and garbage collection was perfect on every SSD then we wouldn't be having this discussion. You don't need to weigh in anything I have to say to know this. I don't need to read an article on information I already know as it's redundant. This is about as dumb as the argument on SSD write wear and tear which the agreement in the end was in my favor. Like Mike trying start a stupid argument based on well known fact in my other thread I'll simply say this. The OP already stated he isn't buying the 1TB, making any of this moot.

I agree that you have a right to express your opinion.
I just do not know why you can not back up your opinions with documented facts

There is no opinion being stated. Wear leveling isn't perfect and for sure was nowhere near where it is now. You have sufficient Google skills apparently (sometimes), look it up for yourself. I don't need to waste my time proving to you about wear leveling like I did with write degradation.

Not to mention, the OP isn't buying the 1TB SSD or a new PC. Who the F cares. Are you trying to justify your own purchase or something?

You haven't even expressed what you even want to know. If you're referring to wear leveling and the like oh idk pretty much any site that talks about it recently? I think the latest place I heard about the effects of wear leveling was Linus in one of his videos. Probably the introduction to the 850pro. Then again it's pretty common sense. If all SSDs had it perfect there wouldn't be talk about new tech in that area. Simple as that. And I still don't see the point in any of this discussion.

TBH... I haven't seen any issues with wear leveling but I'll need to research on that. I haven't seen it brought up as an issue from any reviews of SSD's as of yet

Edit: after some checking, I can't find anything relevant to wear levelling issues with SSD's today. Everything I check states that the controllers are very good at handling wear levelling on SSD drives today...and larger drives are actually better at wear levelling than smaller drives

Please guide me to this wear levelling problem that I can't find

Last edited:
Because it would? What's the point of having 1TB of SSD space for a few games and programs when they cost the price of a GPU? I had already said before you can have a 480/512 for much cheaper including saying I wanted one or two. The cheapest on Newegg at the time of writing this is a slow Mushkin running a Sandforce controller for 200. The next best being a 512GB Crucial MX100 for $209. That's dirt cheap compared to what they used to be, sure. That's my kinda pricing right there except I want M.2 and I'd even buy a Crucial M.2.

The deal being, this is a 1TB he wanted and he's not even buying the rig anymore. Now if we want to continue the wear level debate, if the tech behind it was perfect we wouldn't have overprovision. Even the drives that can withstand 8PB of writes still have overprovision tech because they aren't perfect. Would I trust an 840pro, Corsair Neutron GTX, Crucial MX500/550, or EVO 1TB? Sure would. But I can't sit here and let this guy buy a 1TB SSD when only a portion of it might properly be used. The money can go elsewhere. Now if he wanted to blow money on the 1TB still, well that's his prerogative. I still think he might have a wear level issue unless he bought a newer SSD with better algorithms like the 850pro. That points back to what I originally said. I never said specifically all drives don't wear properly, I was saying get a drive that should have the best wear reduction.

While I do agree with you that a 1tb drive is over kill for this OP, your view that a smaller drive is better for wear levelling is something that I do not agree with.
Today, NE has a couple 512 gb SSD's on sale for the $100. range, which is still better than a platter drive. I agree they are not as good as a Samsung or an Intel SSD

The larger ssd drives do provide for better wear levelling than the smaller ssd's. It's a simple fact.

The possibility a lower quality drive's wear leveling might work better than the drive being more full is simply a possibility and an opinion. We aren't talking 512 though, 1TB.

If i could un-hijack this thread for a minute. PP, what do you think about the x99 form factor? I've read around and from what i can gather it's not worth the money now...but lets say i'm building a high end machine sometime 6mo to a year from now? At what point will it make since to jump on the new board? Or am i way off base on this too?

Back
Top Bottom