Do motherboards draw different amounts of power?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I would like to build a dedicated security build computer. Presently using a mini-itx build that is consistently running way toooooooo hot [70-80c].

I plan on putting the entire system into a CM HAF case and also use either liquid cpu cooler or much better air cpu cooler.

Trying to keep our energy costs to a bare minimum. Present system sips the watts [30-60watts] when using 4 hd IP cams with Blue Iris.

So now I have some questions:

Do motherboards draw different amounts of wattage or is it all up to the CPU, RAM, and GPU?

My overheating mini-itx system has a tiny ASRock Z87E-ITX and it is suppose to be a good MB.

I am using the Intel i7 4770k.

I am thinking about picking up this deal at NE:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

It includes the Free HyperX Fury Series 8GB memory.

Can someone here help me determine if the MB's use different amounts of wattage please?

Thanks,

Soar

The amount of wattage a board uses is rather minimal... The issue your having isn't power draw, but the fact the CPU is overheating... Did you get the heatsink installed properly? Is the thermal sensors on the motherboard reading right? Do you have the proper heatsink on it? Have you tried to repaste the heatsink to see if you did a bad paste job the first time around?

The amount of wattage a board uses is rather minimal... The issue your having isn't power draw, but the fact the CPU is overheating... Did you get the heatsink installed properly? Is the thermal sensors on the motherboard reading right? Do you have the proper heatsink on it? Have you tried to repaste the heatsink to see if you did a bad paste job the first time around?

Cor,
Thanks for your reply. I believe I did install the heatsink properly...but I did need to modify it by milling 5/8" off the top. I am not sure if the MB sensors are working correctly. Both HW Monitor and SIW are consistently showing 60-80c when the metal building heats up to the 90's or 100's F.

I have not attempted to repaste the HS simply because I always install the HS with the thermal paste the same way and have never had an issue even after building many, many computers over the years.

I am thinking that if I must remove the heatsink, then I will probably move everything over to a HAF case with a much better CPU cooler.

Here is my present set up that is consistently overheating:

Cooler Master Elite 120 ITX Case
Intel i7-4770k
ASRock Z87E-ITX
G.Skil RAM DDR3 1600MhZ 8GB
2-Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans
Modified ARCTIC COOLING CPU Cooler [shaved 5/8" off the top]
Seasonic SS-660XP2 Platinum
Intel 160GB SSD
WD 3TB Red
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Being a mITX rig it's probably not getting proper airflow. That's not the motherboards fault.

PP,

I did install extra fans [two extra 120mm fans] for cooling, but still the same problem.

I too am beginning to wonder if it is the small form factor of the case...

Soar

Metal building? Cali is having a beastly heat wave right now. Improper cooling with high ambient temps will cause that. Also please explain what you "shaved" and where. Depending on what you cut you might have ruined the cooling capacity of the heatsink.

Need a better model name or number on that Artic cooler, like PP stated, if you cut the heat pipes off...well then you have really
screwed.jpg
'd it up

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ok, I am work now, but will send pics and specs of the butcher job [whoops, I meant mill job of shaving off 5/8" off the top of the HS.].

Give me a couple of hours please...off to staff meeting now!

High ambient temp of 90-100F? CPU will sit at 110F at idle at best easily...

Yes, at times the ambient temp is over 100F. So sorry, there is nothing I can do about it and I do not have the freedom to explain why. The good news is winter is nearly over, fall is nearly here, and winter is quickly approaching...

Anyway, here's some of the pics.

I did a before and after mod pic of the Alpine Pro 7. Like I said, I shaved off 5/8" inch right off the top.

I am beginning to think the CPU cooler is simply not good enough for this application...

The i7-4770k is only cranking 14-20%...so I am certain that with this set up, I will have some major problems when I add another set of HD IP cameras...

It is me,

Soar

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 5