How is 30 Hz for everyday use?

og5

Baseband Member
Hi, I have HDMI 1.4 which is limited to 30 hz at 4k resolution. I do not play games or watch movies on my computer, I only use it for work reasons (Internet, typing, excel, powerpoint, etc).

Is 30 Hz harsh on the eyes for regular computing?

Last edited:
I dont know if i could stand 30hz.. I love higher rates such as the interpolation technology offered on high end LCD/LEDs (120hz/240hz in NA and 100hz/200hz in EU) I recently got the Asus VG248QE it works 1080p @ 144hz and I love it. Even moving a window quickly in a circle with duplicated displays one @ 60hz and the other @ 144hz it looks a world of difference! I cant wait for greater overall bandwidth to push even greater rates. Actually in a few years when 4k gets more standard @ ~150hz it would be similar bandwidth as 1080p @ ~600hz. Many would argue that the human eye cant see such detail and I agree but the higher rates i have now feels significantly better and I believe a greater native refresh rate will greatly contribute to how insane the next 10-15 years of television technology will change.

I read a lot of reviews before purchasing the higher refreshrate monitor and a lot of the outcomes was greatly varied so its all in taste.. If i were you i would test it out see which you like more.

Last edited:
The naysayers haven't experienced it, nuff said. Display Port 1.3 has enough bandwidth to push 4k @ 120Hz so that's sufficient. I moved from my workstation NEC to my Samsung TV because I can OC it to 120 for gaming. Makes a big difference. It's sort of like Gsync, nobody will understand until they can personally experience it.

The naysayers haven't experienced it, nuff said. Display Port 1.3 has enough bandwidth to push 4k @ 120Hz so that's sufficient. I moved from my workstation NEC to my Samsung TV because I can OC it to 120 for gaming. Makes a big difference. It's sort of like Gsync, nobody will understand until they can personally experience it.

I used to use a Samsung UN46C7000 as my primary monitor but the built-in 240hz is an interpolation that causes 20+ms response time delay. When you say you overclocked it to 120 do you mean there is an exploit to make it render the additional frames at a faster rate?

Last edited:
Lol I love how that TV advertises REAL 240Hz yet it's still 60. The delay is pretty much just from image processing.

I use eVGA pixel OC to force 120Hz on my TV. It's a 40" Samsung 5 series.

Lol I love how that TV advertises REAL 240Hz yet it's still 60. The delay is pretty much just from image processing.

I use eVGA pixel OC to force 120Hz on my TV. It's a 40" Samsung 5 series.

All manufacturers that take advantage of interpolation to achieve higher refresh rates are actually increasing the amount of frames but because the amount of frames from any multimedia source cannot be changed the image processing is great for TV and movies.

If theres a way to make my TV display in 120hz or 240hz without the interpolation delay I'd really like some links!!

Edit: Is this the tool? https://teksyndicate.com/node/134989

Yea that's it.

There's no guarantee, I just got lucky. Our RCA doesn't do it and it's also 120Hz Truemotion. Just depends on if the panel can handle it or not. None of my monitors can handle a higher refresh either.

When i got my new monitor i had both my TV and monitor hooked up to the PC as a duplicate. I could change each output independently but of course when i set the TV output to match the 144hz output as the monitor the TV thew up a "unsupported input signal" error.

I cant conceive how the TV would accept the input signal greater than its designed specifications

Sorry to the OP we're going OT but this is at least kindof along the same lines :p

Why it's called an OC. It goes above the limit that's specified by what the driver says. Also why it doesn't always work. It's just like down sampling. I can run my 1920x1200 monitor at 2560x1600 and my Asus 1080p at 1440p but my Samsung monitor won't budge.

Sent from my Z740 using TechForums

Back
Top Bottom