64bit and 128bit chips....

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....I dont think there are such thing as 128 bit chips....if there are i wanna link for proof :D

seems u want to know ALL about AMD Athlon K8 series today :)

hahahaha, anyway,

Athlon K8 came with on chip MCT controllers with 64-BIT and 128-BIT width memory controllers.

those that were with 64-BIT have data through put of 3.2GB/s

and those 128-BIT are with 6.4GB/s

this is not what operating systems runs at, this is data throughput from the processor core to the on-chip memory controller, higher rate = faster operation.

understood?

I understand but when the specs of a cpu say "AMD ATHLON 64 4000+ (2.4GHz) 939-PIN 1MB L2 CACHE 64-BIT PROCESSOR - OEM" does the 64-bit its referring to...refer to the same thing you are talking about.

oh this,

well, 64-BIT software they are referring, where still no software, except Windows XP 64-BIT ediction, and some Linux verions came with 64-BIT, else still everything is on 32-BIT still.

but this 64-BIT is backward compatible with 32-BIT, so no worries.

What about Unix, they have 64 bit software..? I was thinking about running that when my computers finished.

Linux is a GNU (free distrobution) version of Unix I believe... as long as Unix supports 64-bit then it's all good, well even if it only supports 32-bit it will still work.

well Unix is text based (MAC OS-X Excluded) and Linux is GUI and 64-BIT as well, this was the first desktop operating sytem to support 64-BIT Procesing.

so would games run alot better if you ran them in Linux w/ a 64 bit chip than in windows??

u cannot run every software on linux that u run on windows, they are entirely different operating systems. and softwars are written different for both.

you can however get Windows 64-BIT edition, but again, not every software came 64-BIT, so at least i dont know any game that came 64-BIT. may be they'll optimize some, as AMD is gaming plaform and as well have got back-up of game developers and vice verca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom