hyperthreading

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, Dual CPU (means 2 CPu in physical, not HT based 2 CPU) are for servers. so servers require Reguistered DIMMS, as Major said. they are slow, yes they are.

but you can get 1 Intel P-4 with HT (means showing 2 CPU where 1 is virtual), and it takes Un-registered DIMMS. (as in my case, HT on Un-registered DIMMS)

and where games. programs are concerned, there are programs that do support multi threads (thats y HT enabled CPU's are faster), like photoshop if opened on 3.6 (Non-HT) and at the same time 3.0 (with HT), then the 3.0 will ope it faster, even its 600Mhz slower than 3.6.

I am actually AMD fan, but this time i made Intel HT just beczause i'm Photoshop user, and many other software that support multi threading.

Ah, how can I find out if my is on or off? I have not messed with anything. Can someone give me a quick direction how to get into BIOS and turn it off or on. Thanks

ah, u have same setup as mine (almost)

do this:

press alt+ctrl+del

and select performance tab,

the upper graph is for CPU (if u see 2 segments in CPU graph, then it means ur HT is working)

if the graph is as same as Page File (means only 1 segment),

then enter into BIOS and you'll find there HT [enabled/disabled]

Wow our computers are alot alike! *Looks down both lists* Now I know exactly who to go to for computer questions!

I saw two graphs on the "upper" side so I think that is what you meant by HT, so I think I am enabled which is good. While I was in Win Task Manager though I saw that I had 39 programs running. Is this ok? Way to much. Looking down the list I don't even know half of them. Only a Quarter of them look familiar? Any ideas should I take a screen shot or something to give better visual?

its perfectly normal:

I have 40 running (even I'm only running only browser at this moment)

even if u install windows for the first time, you'll see around 30+ programs running already, they are memory controllers, systems controlelrs etc etc., and as you'll install things that start-up with system start-up, this number will increase :)

so be worryless.

Well i am on a 2.4 P4 512 right now, and with 3dMark03 it says Hyperthreading is:

Availiable - Not Enabled

And the bios has no option anywhere to enable or mess with hyperthreading at all.

Is there someway I should be updating the Bios?? I've never done it and am sceptical, unless its just like a video driver....(input needed).

Oh yeah, if it matters, I have socket 478.

I don't know about you guys, but i only have 14 programs running when i'm at the desktop. Only "user" program is Explorer. All the rest are System.

EDIT: And yes i'm on windows XP Pro

EDIT#2: SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom