Advice on new computer.

MikesthatGuy

Solid State Member
Hey everyone. First post here (outside of the introductory forum). I have been looking to build another computer for a long time, but then I ran across this and the person wants to sell it for $400. What I am wondering is; is this a good price for the build? I mainly play games like WoW, Terra, and GW2. I am outdated on the hardware side of things, so any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Here is the build:

AMD 64 Quad core Phenom processor. AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition
6 Gb of Ram
3 Hard Drives - a) 250 Gb b) 160 Gb c) 160 Gb All sata and spin an 7200 rpm
Nvidia graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT With Dual DVI Outputs Capable of running Dual monitor mode flawlessly
WinTv Card included to integrate Digital T.V. on computer and media center
RCA/S-Video/Audio Inputs
HD Audio Card with Dolby 5.1 Sterio Decoder output
Motherboard has builtin 6 Sata inputs

Included Monitor is a Dell 17' Fp With Usb/vga/and Dvi inputs

Again, thank you for any information. I just don't have the time to build one on my own right now due to schooling and work schedules conflicting.

Doesn't seen too bad for the price, not my cup of tea though.
I wonder why he used three relatively small drives instead of a large one and SSD

I honestly asked the same thing. I will ask him when I see him again. I have always used intel when gaming. But the price caught my attention pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GPU will choke on those 3 titles. I just had a 9800GTX+ in my server that choked hard on Skyrim lower than 1080p res. First gen Phenom not worth 50 bucks IMO due to how massively fail it was in comparison to Core 2 duals. 400 bucks is super steep for that rig. I'd give 200 for it, even with a 17" box monitor.

Oh okay. I see where you are coming from. Thank you. Looks like I will pass up on this one. I wasn't too sure, that is why I came here and asked. I knew that GPU was outdated and I have always liked Intel when it came to gaming, although, never gave AMD a shot. It looks like it is time to get back to building me a PC. I know its cheaper to build one instead of buying, it has just been forever since I have built one.

Oh okay. I see where you are coming from. Thank you. Looks like I will pass up on this one. I wasn't too sure, that is why I came here and asked. I knew that GPU was outdated and I have always liked Intel when it came to gaming, although, never gave AMD a shot. It looks like it is time to get back to building me a PC. I know its cheaper to build one instead of buying, it has just been forever since I have built one.

Building it will give you total customization, members here will gladly help you put something together with whatever budget you have in mind.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like AMD make terrible processors or anything (well besides APUs IMO), but that Phenom was their first gen quads and they were a harder fail than Bulldozer. Slower E series Core 2s outpaced their top dog Phenom in practically everything and their newer Core 2s and Core 2 Quads just raped it hard. And in terms of the GPU, I bought a brand new 9800GTX+ in 2008 and it or the 9800GT just aren't capable of doing anything besides playing older games and putting video on your screen. My 9600GT powers my secondary screens only and it even lags with browser scrolling and moving windows around.

If/when you set a time and budget be sure to make a thread and I'll hook you up with the best for your money.

Thank pp mguire. I'll be sure to make a thread after I get a budget made. That. Or I'll browse and see if any other users want the same build I do and budget. I know there's a lot of threads on help getting a build together. If not, then I will make a thread. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom