AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blake said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i heard from other people that AMD cpus tend to run hotter than intel chips because intel cpu's have better cooling methods? again correct me if i'm wrong. I just want to confirm if thats true?

somewhat true. Intels do tend to run cooler than AMD processors. But it isn't cuz' Intel "cooiling methods" are better.

Intel chips can run at less voltage than AMD chips most of the time...but that's because they do less work per clock cycle than AMD and don't need as much power to stay stable.

Aftermarket coolers are not related to Intel or AMD, so they can't be tied into the equation. That's what REALLY makes a difference in temperatures.

so AMD is capable of processing way more stuff than intels can?

interesting.. i never knew that... =]

but then again, the hotter the chip.. the shorter its lifespan??

Blake said:
so AMD is capable of processing way more stuff than intels can?

interesting.. i never knew that... =]

but then again, the hotter the chip.. the shorter its lifespan??

not not necessarily. AMD's get pwned in multi-media calculations compared to Intel. AMD is usually for GAMing, Intel for media apps and stuff.

and again...the chip isn't necessarily HOT because it's an AMD. I am running 27C @ 2.5GHz...this chip will last a long time. and even running 45C all day long it should last a good 5+ yrs. at least.

Blake said:
45..? isn't that hotter than average?

below 50C is considered "safe" in most circumstances. My chip can run 100C before it will either fry or damage. Hottest i've ever had it was 63C on stock cooling.

Snake-Eyes said:
will ALL AMD processors run with Windows XP Home?

uh yah...dont matter what CPU you have XP is compatible with anything. I suggest Professional edition though...

this is a topic where noone will give you an honest answer. all amd users will say amds are better and all the intel users say intels are better. i dont see what the big deal is none of us is gettin paid to promote these companies so why stress it. use what you wanna use and thats it. they both have fast expensive chips as well as cheaper slower ones. overall amd is lower in price but not by as much as used to be the case. you can build a ridiculously good computer using either of these cpus.

jblaze725 said:
this is a topic where noone will give you an honest answer. all amd users will say amds are better and all the intel users say intels are better. i dont see what the big deal is none of us is gettin paid to promote these companies so why stress it. use what you wanna use and thats it. they both have fast expensive chips as well as cheaper slower ones. overall amd is lower in price but not by as much as used to be the case. you can build a ridiculously good computer using either of these cpus.

well pretty much true, i think ive provided a fair answer and un-biased explanation. Intel is better in multi-media and AMD is generally know for being better in games. AMD is usually cheaper while an Intel rig performing the same will cost you a lil' more. But if you want to photo edit/video edit or something huge like that an Intel will usually prove better in the end, if you don't skimp on hardware.

U talked about the AMD's running hotter than the P4 but with the release of the Prescot that would seem to no longer be the case. AMD has got no better in the department but P4's have got worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom