Lenovo ThinkPad Errors

Derek01

Beta member
Hi everyone. I have a lenovo thinkpad 2 that displays three error codes: 0183, 0188 and 2201 when I boot up. I don't care about these errors as they are not causing any problems. I simply want to bypass this error screen at bootup. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance. Plus I'm sorry if this is the wrong section to post for tablets.

Hi everyone. I have a lenovo thinkpad 2 that displays three error codes: 0183, 0188 and 2201 when I boot up. I don't care about these errors as they are not causing any problems. I simply want to bypass this error screen at bootup. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance. Plus I'm sorry if this is the wrong section to post for tablets.

Don't think this is for your specific model (you never posted your model), but I'll assume that the error codes would be the same or similar for all Thinkpads.
Page 40:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/0b48474.pdf
0183 said:
Code:
0183: Bad CRC of Security Settings in EFI Variable.
Enter ThinkPad Setup. — The checksum of the Security
settings in the EFI Variable is not correct

Solution:
Enter ThinkPad Setup to correct Security settings in
the EFI Variable.

0188 said:
Code:
0188: Invalid RFID Serialization Information Area. — The
EEPROM checksum is not correct (Block #0,1).

Cause:
System board

2201 said:
Code:
2201: Machine UUID is invalid.

Cause:
System board

Sounds like you need to send it in for service to fix the codes. You could maybe try updating your BIOS and see if that would fix it, if there is an update that is.

Thanks for the reply. I know what the errors are, I just want to bypass the screen that shows the errors. Thanks.

Well when do they appear? In Windows? Before Windows? During or after the BIOS splash screen?

Just after I press the power button, there is a black screen showing the three errors then it just continues to boot.

You could try looking in BIOS, but I doubt there's a setting for it.

If you want them to go away you'll have to send it in for repair if it's under warranty.

Factory reset is only going to affect software, i.e. your Windows install.

If the messages are coming up before Windows even loads, then it won't matter. You could take your HDD out and see if the messages still pop up. If they do, then you know it's a hardware problem for sure.

Like I said, you could try doing a BIOS update if one is available...but if it is indeed hardware, then the only solution is to send it in because it sounds like a motherboard issue according to the error codes.

Ya, you are right. I thought I would try doing the factory reset but two of the errors still appeared when it did the reboot. I might try the BIOS update. Thanks again for your advice, appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom