Is it worth it?

Just to clarify PP, one post you mentioned I should try overclock to 4.2 or 4.3 but the last you said my PSU couldn't handle it. In your opinion would you think it would be safe to push it a little higher than stock speed?
You were talking about a 5GHz OC which would put your CPU well into the 175w range. With your GPU taking over 200w by itself that's half the peak power of your PSU. A mild 4.2 for a few test runs wouldn't hurt anything just to see if you get any real benefit from the OC. Corsair make good units but their CX line is still their budget line meaning a CX430 is rated for its peak power of 430w. If you see a good noticeable difference with a 4.2GHz OC then I would look into getting yourself a Seasonic S1211 520w or 620w that could handle a higher 24/7 stable OC or a beefier chip like a cheap 8320 or FX6300.

What motherboard do you have?

Sorry to butt in but I have some questions for you. :/

1.What heatsink do you have by chance is it stock or aftermarket ?
2.Can you download this and screenshot what it says about your cpu specs with tempature ?
Core Temp
He stated he has an EVO 212.

I've an Asus M5A78L-M motherboard. Whats a 24/7 stable overclock? I thought once you overclock it would stay at that speed unless you lower it again in the bios. Me PSU isn't something I had considered, I thought it was up to the task of an overclock, good thing you mentioned it.

Rockman I'm not installing that coretemp as it comes bundled with some searchbar crap but I'll install another and post back again soon. And as PP said I've an Evo 212 cooler.

I've an Asus M5A78L-M motherboard. Whats a 24/7 stable overclock? I thought once you overclock it would stay at that speed unless you lower it again in the bios. Me PSU isn't something I had considered, I thought it was up to the task of an overclock, good thing you mentioned it.
24/7 stable OC is one that you can run continuously with very little to no chance of your system becoming unstable because of too high of an OC.

Rockman I'm not installing that coretemp as it comes bundled with some searchbar crap but I'll install another and post back again soon. And as PP said I've an Evo 212 cooler.

CoreTemp is actually quite accurate and a very good CPU temp reader. An alternative would be HWMonitor, though. You should be able to choose not to install the toolbar during the installation of CoreTemp.

CoreTemp is actually quite accurate and a very good CPU temp reader. An alternative would be HWMonitor, though. You should be able to choose not to install the toolbar during the installation of CoreTemp.

Should be but you can't its just part of the install unfortunately. I only uninstalled HWMonitor a few weeks ago:silly:, I'll re-install it when I get a chance and post pics.

Should be but you can't its just part of the install unfortunately. I only uninstalled HWMonitor a few weeks ago:silly:, I'll re-install it when I get a chance and post pics.

Just use the portable EXE for HWMonitor ;). No need to install anything then.

People should learn to look for the proper downloads ;)

Your motherboard isn't also the best for doing higher OCs. Just check try 4.2 or 4.3 for a few games to see if it really makes a difference then put it back and post up.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 4
Just an update, I've overclocked to 4.2 and am running prime95 the last hour and all seems fine, I'll let it run for a few hours to be certain its stable. Both core temp and HWMonitor won't give me readouts of individual core temps like in the pictures. I've fiddled around in the settings and there nothing, I've read that this can be due to overclocking. HWM has

AMD FX -4300 value 27 min 2 max 28

this seems low no?.

Anyway I'll give watchdogs a run later and see if it makes a difference.

Didn't need to do all that. All you needed to do was give it a small OC and test the game for a viable increase in performance.

Yes that is low. Some FX chips have a temp bug. Makes OCing on air more dangerous in your situation.

Back
Top Bottom