Hub or Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay then i'll take wired... but modem + router? what do they mean by that? i already have a cable modem?

hm, that expensive stuff... so can anyone tell me which router brand is the best at the moment?

ok, lemme explain once again:

Modem = dials up to your ISP
Router = this is implemnted on network

if u buy only router, you wont be able to connect to internet (DSL/Cable)

so if u buy router + modem combo (also called ADSL Gateway). you'll get all things into one.

u cannot say weather wired are faster or wireless, as if to get use them for internet only, then wireless and wired acts exactlly same way, as lowest wireless option is B standard so @ 11Mbps (where ur typicsl DSL connection is 512k)

but if you are using your router to switch data batween 2 pcs, then obviously wired is faster.

the thing i'm telling about, (ADSL Gateway) comes as ALL-IN-ONE solution. so that u can connect PC's wireless and wireed as wells.

i'm using US Robotics 9106 (that is ALL-IN-ONE) means, Modem, Router, Switch and Wireless gateway built in.

other ADSL gateways that I have recently tested with all other options and have satisfied me well are:

Linksys WAG54G
Belkin (I dont remember the model)

Linksys and U.S Robotisc are most expensive, but Linksys have edge in contribution with Cisco Systems.

but I am using U/S Robotics since days of Dial-Up, and its so well satisfying. :) and as wll beautiful design.

ooo u mean the card that i have, ya, i have that i dont know what model it is but yah.. i have it.. so i guess Linksys would be the best choice?

could u guys tell me what u guys think about 3com? or d-link?

all are good, 3-Com is basically same setup as US.Robotics, cause they have been building their network products with same name, this use to be written on the products (3 Com, US Robotics)

these make nice products:

Linksys, US Robotics, D-Link, NetGear, Belkin, and Vigour (very very expensive)

maybe u can help my friend open ports? he uses a SMC Barricade as well and would like to open ports for faster file transfer and ability to host game servers? i'll give him ur aim sn? is that okay with you?

On the SMC barracade ... Log into the router via the internal address. Defaults to 192.168.0.2. Enter in the password Default password for the barracade is blank. Goto Advanced Setup > To the left there will be a tree of options. Click on NAT > Then click Virtual Server > Then enter in the address and port information. Private and Public ports numbers SHOULD BE THE SAME!
Also, if you do not know the IP address of the computer that you want this port forwarded to, then just click start > run > type in 'cmd' and then type in 'ipconfig'. This is the IP address that you'll use. Just the one entry will do. Save the configuration be clicking the apply button, which is the middle of the 3 buttons at the bottom of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom