htpc build by a noob

I haven't tried streaming 4k video but it takes me a while to transcode 4k video with a 3960x. I doubt having an i5 will really help with encodes on the fly for 4k. By the time 4k monitors, TVs, and 4k compatible A/V equipment is around something like an i5 4440 will be looked at like a Q6600 and will be due for an update anyways. That's why I keep saying an i3 is fine.

I am going to take a wild guess and say the reason it takes so long to transcode, or even just encode in 4k is because of the software. Most software is horrible at handling 4k and will continue to be horrible at handling it for awhile, just like software used to be horrible for 720p and 1080p. I remember a P3 not being able to handle 720p when it first came about, but as software evolved, a higher end p3 could at least let 720p playback occur without issues.

Last edited:
The Pentium M in my Dell Inspiron 6000 disagrees. It can't handle any HD content whether played locally or via the net on Flash or HTML5.

Either way, HD content was out before HD went mainstream in 09 and it still took a while for 1080p to take a grasp on the mainstream market. 4k is still ridiculously expensive even for enthusiasts so with the past at hand and the slow gradual progression of price dropping we're looking at 3-5 years before 4k is a household mainstay. His rig he's building at this time will be obsolete pretty much.

I think one important thing to note here is he's making an HTPC and I doubt it will be running anything that requires a transcode. If he's streaming to handhelds or a 360 or something it's pointless to run 4k content to them.

But the fact is, the system might last long enough that it will have 4k content stored locally, and could possibly be streamed to other devices that can't handle 4k. Not everyone upgrades every 3-5 years, I sat on a 6000+ till twoish or threeish years ago, and have been sitting on a 965be since, my i3 was in a media server till a few weeks ago, and has since been retired for routing purposes. I just don't see why throw the idea of an i5 out entirely when there is potential in 3-5 years to keep the system alive still, where as if he had an i3 he may have to dump it entirely for a new build. At least consider the potential that going a little beefier now can last him a bit longer in the long run before he has to upgrade.

Last edited:
Ok so the new pc is up and running. Thanks everyone for the advice it was vary help full.

Now am I better off installing an older secure version of xbmc or the new Kodiak that is not at this point?

But the fact is, the system might last long enough that it will have 4k content stored locally, and could possibly be streamed to other devices that can't handle 4k. Not everyone upgrades every 3-5 years, I sat on a 6000+ till twoish or threeish years ago, and have been sitting on a 965be since, my i3 was in a media server till a few weeks ago, and has since been retired for routing purposes. I just don't see why throw the idea of an i5 out entirely when there is potential in 3-5 years to keep the system alive still, where as if he had an i3 he may have to dump it entirely for a new build. At least consider the potential that going a little beefier now can last him a bit longer in the long run before he has to upgrade.

Ok so the new pc is up and running. Thanks everyone for the advice it was vary help full.

Now am I better off installing an older secure version of xbmc or the new Kodiak that is not at this point?
That's why lol. Plus he said he had a Blu Ray player and hasn't mentioned streaming to other devices....yet. He had a budget and I'm sure if he could afford it he would get the better processor. An i5 is a good deal more expensive than a cheap i3.

Back
Top Bottom