baracuda 1tb hard drive disappeared after power loss

The older PSU that it is, and the I think second paragraph referencing the Guru review, I'd be willing to bet it's undervolting each time it gets unplugged instead of just cleanly cutting power.

Some Seagate drives only have a 1 year warranty....So the OP might not have any warranty at all.
Get one of the WD red drives, they are designed for constant video recording

Purples are the line meant for 24/7 video recording... Reds are for NAS/Raided configurations...
BTW, to bring up a very recent experience about SATA cables... I recently upgraded my SSD, cloned from one to the other, perfect alignment, but I had some serious performance issues, very slow reads, and very slow writes, almost as if the SSD was a low-end HDD. After trouble-shooting, it was the cable that had gone bad, good enough it worked, but cause some serious issues that you wouldn't think is related to a cable.

But yeah, the PSU does sound old enough that it may not be cutting the power in a clean fashion, power goes out, and the rails just slowly drop down and dont cut off with in a tight enough tolerance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236659 just a few bucks more than the red, same warranty, but mean specifically for constant read/write.

Last edited:
Unless he lies, he is at fault so warranty won't cover it.

Yes they will if he can prove to them he didn't damage that hard drive.
Besides that if their is any physical signs or internal damages from anywhere on the drive...
Yes you are correct, they won't offer a replacement for something the user fouls up. :/
You're probably well aware of how most companys with technical support probe around for info to see if you did damage it or you didn't.

after 3 failed drives Im not even gonna bother with Seagate

wd is what survived in same pc as Seagate and that's what im going with.

after upgrading the power supply.
it is a bit old now that I thought about it its definitely more than 2 years old

before the kid figured out I had a failing backup PSU that kept shutting it down so this computer probably seen a good 30-40 hard shutdowns in its lifetime. but everything else is working good so far. I scan it weekly

its like getting a warranty on cheap Chinese dynamite.
yea it blew your hand off first time sorry . heres another stick for inconvenience

Get ya a good PSU, and grab you a WD Purple if your going to be writing and reading constantly to the disk. And keep the kid away from the PC... While a few flat out unplugs of the cable wont harm it, over and over again will take a serious toll on the PSU, and it will eventually take a toll on the rest of your hardware. I can count at least 30 times in the last year alone that we have suddenly lost power, not a single hiccup, but, eventually that will damage the PSU since it's still trying to supply power, and can't because of the sudden loss.

so I smacked it around a bit with the back of a screw driver
that seemed to work in the past in order to acess the drive I had broken before and suddenly it showed back up as an unformatted drive

so now its in my computer as an empty drive

is this good or bad news and can I do anything with this to get any files off it?

when I click on it I get an error :

is not accessible

the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

it clicks continuously like its stuck when it tries to acess the drive

when its not its spinning quietly
and spins up like normal drive

Back
Top Bottom